Thread: Scrolling gone with arrow keys

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Scrolling gone with arrow keys

I have a new intriguing issue. When I go to use the scrolling on my laptop by using the up and down arrow keys, on java pages it will just jump right to the bottom of the page when the down arrow is pushed, and it's just the opposite for the up arrow.

When I bring up a google search page the curser will run up and down each word depending on which arrow I push.

Two things may have happened to cause this...first I was trying to get my laptop to play movies by using this guide http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683, and I have two new kittens who like to sit and sleep on my keyboard suddenly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
    Sometimes I wake up crabby, but mostly I just let her sleep.

Beans

Re: Scrolling gone with arrow keys

Does it react in the same way when you use the arrow keys to scroll in another application?

Also, if the arrow keys can be used for PageUp and PageDown, via Fn+Up and Fn+Down respectively, ensure that the Fn key is released, just to get out the obvious.

Regards
    Iain

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tinivole View Post
    Does it react in the same way when you use the arrow keys to scroll in another application?

Also, if the arrow keys can be used for PageUp and PageDown, via Fn+Up and Fn+Down respectively, ensure that the Fn key is released, just to get out the obvious.

Regards
    Iain

It does the same. I could scroll up and down pages without the use of the Fn key. When I use the Fn keyand arrow my situation does not change, that is to say both produce the same result.

[edit] I just looked at my drivers and for some reason my ATI/AMD FGLRX driver had been disabled. I re-enabled it but I still have the same problem.
    Last edited by redb; April 22nd, 2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Checked driver situation.

Beans
    Distro

The issue has been solved. The kitten (fred) decided to jump up on my wifes notebook hitting f7 which popped up a window allowing caret browsing. I then ran to my computer and repeated this and answered no. Problem fixed.

Mike

Beans
    Distro

I have a kitten who also likes to walk on computers. My arrow keys won't work. I have an acer aspire 5100. I am sure at some weird button combination was pressed. Oddly enough Fn+left and right work, but not the FN+up and down. None of the keys work by themselves.