Thread: viruses?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Arrow viruses?

i keep hearing that there are viruses for ubuntu, and that there arent. what is the truth?

Beans

Re: viruses?

As far as we know, there are none currently in circulation. That being said, it doesn't hurt to be safe.
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. What does kill you makes you dead.
    Arch Linux for the pwn!

In the lab there have viruses made, but in the wild, there was only one. You don't need to run anti-virus unless you have an email client and want to avoid passing on viruses in emails to your Window using friends.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Moved to recurring discussions as the topic is quite broad.

1. Viruses for Linux have been developed as a "proof of concept". None are currently active.

2. Depending on who you are talking to, the term "Virus" may refer to almost any kind of malware. I am not arguing semantics, I am just saying it seems to me that many if not most Windows users use the term "virus" indiscriminately.

3. If you are interested in Linux Security, start here:

Ubuntu Security - Ubuntu Forums

If you are interested in opinions and researching Linux viruses, I would suggest Google. A simple google search yields a number of hits.

Take care to check the source. It seems to me that some (most ? ) of the people advocating antivirus on Linux are trying to sell something, do not understand security all that well (they do not use security terminology accurately), play the "what if" card frequently, etc, so check your sources of information. You certainly will get a different perspecitive for the hard core security orginizations and GNU then personal blogs.

After researching the subject for yourself, you will have to decide the "truth" for yourself. Everything else is someone else's opinion.
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; April 12th, 2009 at 05:14 AM. Reason: spelling
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

The "truth" is that security is up to you. Read the link above and work to gain some understanding of your system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'd also like to point out that the "proof of concept" viruses and the real transmittable viruses could only infect computers through security flaws that were present in some software at the time. Since then, those security flaws have been fixed. Even if somebody started executing one of those old Linux viruses, it would not be able to enter ANY Ubuntu system. The first version of Ubuntu post-dates the last known Linux virus, and the security system in Ubuntu 9.04 is lightyears ahead of that in Ubuntu 4.10.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.