Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tired of fighting Linux/Ubuntu. Uninstall help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Tired of fighting Linux/Ubuntu. Uninstall help?

I'm very frustrated and completely exhausted from fighting Linux and Ubuntu. Might someone please tell me how to uninstall it and fully return my system to Vista? Vista may indeed suck, but at least it allows me to get work done. (Sorry, Linux/Ubuntu. I gave you a trial of almost a full year but you're just not ready for the desktop.)
    Last edited by ZenWarrior; April 11th, 2009 at 04:02 PM.

Beans

Re: Tired of fighting Linux/Ubuntu. Uninstall help?

You should be able to just boot from the Vista DVD or CD and run the install program.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thank you for responding,but it will be a tremendous hassle to wipe my Vista installation clean and start from scratch. Is there a way to uninstall without it costing me everything presently Windows? Again, thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

No, of course you don't have to reinstall Vista. It's a simple 2-stage process.

1 Delete the Ubuntu partitions and reuse them.

2 Repair the MBR

Here's a useful link to tell you how to "uninstall" Ubuntu and repair the mbr

As far as deleting the Ubuntu partitions, you could boot up with an Ubuntu live CD and use System > Administration > Partition Editor. Delete and create new partitions. Or just delete and use the Vista resizing tool to enlarge your Vista partition into the space previously used by Ubuntu. Or, no doubt, you could delete the Linux partitions from within Vista.

Just be aware that as soon as you delete the Ubuntu root partition, you'll no longer be able to boot into Vista until you have repaired the mbr.

Or you could repair the mbr to make sure you can boot into Vista, and then use the Ubuntu live CD to do your partition work. So long as you don't start the installer (which I'm sure you won't ), the live CD won't affect the mbr.

Good luck.
    Last edited by coffeecat; April 11th, 2009 at 04:19 PM.

Beans

I obviously misunderstood your situation. I didn't think you had Vista still installed. You should be able to boot Vista and just delete the Ubuntu partitions and grow the Vista partition back, as coffeecat said.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thank you for the informative and kind reply. I truly wish I found Ubuntu easier to use. I despise paying the Microsoft tax. However, simply installing a new application in Ubuntu can be a major nightmare. That's what happened today. What would have taken 2 minutes in Windows seemed impossible with Ubuntu, or at least it was for me--even after reading documentation for an hour.

I continue to get the feeling that Linux users, although at the same time saying Linux will soon take over the world, much prefer being recognized as some sort of exclusive club where certain initiation rights are required for admission. Or, maybe it's just that geeks truly have no idea how to make something easy--and I do mean easy, not brainless.

I'll give Linux another look in another couple of years. Maybe one day only an intelligent person will be able to use it, not someone willing to waste hours and hours to accomplish tasks which in the two other predominant operating systems have been made easy enough even for most grandmothers.

Again, thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by ZenWarrior View Post
    simply installing a new application in Ubuntu can be a major nightmare. That's what happened today. What would have taken 2 minutes in Windows seemed impossible with Ubuntu, or at least it was for me--even after reading documentation for an hour.
    If you're still around, can you say what the software was? Was it something really obscure? You see, my experience is quite the opposite of yours. 95% of what I want is in the Ubuntu repos and installing just involves a couple of mouse clicks. Truly much nicer than Windows. Then, for the next 4% I find a deb file on the application website, download it to the desktop, double click on it, and gdebi automatically installs it for me. Again, usually smoother than my Windows experience. That leaves just 1% where, I agree, trying to install can be a nightmare.

I am not trying to proselytise. You must use the platform you are comfortable with. But it depresses me seeing some of the threads on this forum (and other Linux forums) where a new user asks a question, the answer to which involves a couple of mouse clicks and some spotty urchin posts a reply along the line of: 'open a terminal and...

Code:
    incomprehensible gobbledegook

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I agree in a way with both of you. Ive been using Ubuntu for what, almost 3 years now. I now use ONLY Ubuntu. But, learning linux was difficult at first becuase i LOVE to tinker around. I screwed things up a few times, but I kept at it and thankfully I didnt jut give up and run away. Are Ubuntu and linux users in an exclusive club? I dont think so. Maybe so for people who like to tinker... can you fix something if you go to root and mess it up? It DOES take some patience if you go root, screw something up, and expect an easy fix. Ubuntu does make this process easier if you screw things up... we have a great forum here to get info. Go on ebay and buy some $50 cheapo computer with a P3 in it, put TinyME on it as a backup if you must to rescue your main unit. But really, did you ever go root in XP or Vista? Probably not.

Im a html coder, web designer, graphics artist (and probably not a great one after seeing so much great stuff around the world!) so it was a bit of a brain ache making the full switch. Could I still do Photoshop? Yep. Dreamweaver? Yep. I was able to make the switch. For Windows programs, get WINE on your Ubuntu system. For some select few programs use WINE DOORS to install windows programs. But after a while, I wanted to learn more about open source programs similar to the windows programs Ive been using for years. GIMP and INKSCAPE in the repositories more than make up for Photoshop.... you just need to know how to use them (there are some great howto blogs that update regularly). Thats been my personal situation. But most all programs you need you can find in the add/remove and search around.

getdeb.net is a great site for finding software. Browse around the net for ubuntu and linux blogs. If youre looking for something specific, ask right here in the forums. People can guide you to something exactly to fit you bill many times.

Id say dont give up yet. It sounds like you have a dual boot setup? Keep Ubuntu even if you go back to Vista.

Can we all ask you what specifically are you mad at, giving up on, and ready to call it quits? Whats ******* you off about Ubuntu compared to XP/Vista? Maybe in a few months when Vista slows down for you, boot up times become unbearable and the latest greatest virus infects you you might rethink checking Ubuntu again.

I love the fact if I need a program, I can find it for free here in the forums or in the reps. There is a few programs like "TwitterFriendAdder" I use, it doesnt work through Wine, so I use XP within Virtual Box to run that software. No big deal. And i dont use that software often so its all good.

Hey, my dad is 75 years old. He has Ubuntu Jaunty (just upgraded all) on his laptop at work, his Acer 10.1" netbook when he travels, and his home desktop. He has everything he needs. Access to the internet/email, word processing, free games, watching movies, etc.

If you are giving up on Ubuntu it sounds like you have some very specific programs? Otherwise how can you go wrong with free and safe?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Arrow Re: Tired of fighting Linux/Ubuntu. Uninstall help?

You konw Coffeecat, I do really understand and emphasize with ZenWarrior feelings. It is undeniable that unfortunately Linux still not to be that "average user friendly" and just this, is somehow frustrating. Myself, after years using Linux, still facing troubles at every Ubuntu upgrade version to make some piece hardware/software work as it is supposed and intended to do.

I think that if I keep trying is because I like break my head finding the way to put together this kind of "Linux puzzle".
    And somehow to the fact that I'm convinced for ethics and principles reasons that Linux is the future.

Coffeecat you said, 90 and some % ends to be just question of couple mouse clicks to get it fixed. So then watch my thread and tell me if it is the case for my RAID O dual boot install problem. I wish you are right!
    AMD Phenom II 940 X4+FOXCONN A7DA-S+Corsair 8Gb 1066Mhz DDR2+PCIe Sapphire Radeon HD-4870 1Gb+WDC Blue 2 x 320Gb. WDC Black 1 x 1 Tb JBOD+Hec Zephyr 750w PSU
    Registered Linux user #358506 --- Registered Ubuntu user #6814

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Maybe it is, but I don't consider Second Life obscure at all. Upon trying to run it, I kept getting an error about window creation. The documentation stated that meant I have out of date Nvidia drivers, which I do not. They are the most recent release. Also, I've received that same error now across three updates of the Nvidia drivers.

Still, I then continued to follow instructions regarding a fix and never got anywhere. To install Second Life on Windows is brainless, but was a nightmare which would not end when attempted with Ubuntu. I couldn't even "run" the file as specified in the instructions and I think I'm better than most at both first reading documentation/instructions and following it. But over an hour later, I'd accomplished nothing but pulling my hair out.

I've had the same problem with other software which is not at all "obscure" to Windows, but seems totally out of the ballpark with Ubuntu. And for what it's worth, I'm hardly a newbie. Granted, I've not kept my skills honed, but I grew up with mainframes, VAX, and other arcane operating systems. I taught myself SAS even, from only their voluminous manuals. I began with IBM punchcards back in 1975.

I was reading and downloading graphics files from Usenet when there were only 1000 newsgroups and it took 3-4 separate applications just to view a graphics file. So although I no longer "tinker," I'm hardly afraid of doing it--and even thought it would be fun to do so with Unbuntu/Linux. However, it's only been an exercise in frustration 90% of the time.

One thing I feel is sorely missing--documentation in "english." If there is a simple dictionary of terms like grep and what it's supposed to do, I've not found it. Most everything Linux seems to be defined only in context. That is, if you read enough you eventually get an idea of what it means. But after reading and reading, many Linux terms still mean nothing to me and a simple dictionary with examples would have made all the difference.

However, I think I realize that is where capitalism comes in vs. open source. Open source means *maybe* someone decided to be nice and take time to do certain things. With capitalism, you have no choice if you plan on taking any money to the bank. Maybe being free is both the blessing and curse of Ubuntu and Linux. No one has the financial motivation to do things certain given ways which provide little other reward than boosting self-esteem.

YMMV. The above is merely my opinion and assessment of what I've seen.

(BTW, this is not unique to Ubuntu. I also installed PCLinuxOS on another computer and life there is no different--maybe worse. It's back to Windows, with the greatest of regrets.)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast