Thread: GDM prroblem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

GDM prroblem

hi...my problem is that my gnome display manager does not load at startup. When I write
    sudo gdm
    then I get the following error message:
    symbol lookup error /usr/lib/libgio-2.0.so.0:undefined symbol: g_thread_gettime

please help...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: GDM prroblem

Try going into the console mode (control + alt + F1 - F6) then running nautilus to see if you can get the X server running on there. If you can, just run nautilus again, and see what happens. You should get into a graphical display from there.
    Currently running: elementary Freya. Have experience in Ubuntu up to 14.04. (Started in 8.04)
    Student. Reader. Writer. Theatre-goer. I poke around in Linux from time to time, too.
    2.16Ghz Quad Core, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD.

Beans
    Distro

My computer is starting in terminal mode only. And when I type:
    nautilus or sudo nautilus
    I get the same error message as above.i.e.
    symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgio-2.0.so.0:undefined symbol: g_thread_gettime
    Last edited by adimania; April 11th, 2009 at 01:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Are you connected to the Internet, if you are, try using sudo apt-get install and sudo apt-get autoremove to uninstall then reinstall gnome/kde.
    Currently running: elementary Freya. Have experience in Ubuntu up to 14.04. (Started in 8.04)
    Student. Reader. Writer. Theatre-goer. I poke around in Linux from time to time, too.

Beans
    Distro

I was connected to net through college proxy which means I have to login after opening my browser window. Now I cannot do that. Can I download a .deb package from somewhere and install it in my laptop?
    If yes then please can you give me the link?

Beans
    Distro

Urm, sure I'll try, but how are you using the Internet to use the forums, if you can somewhat transfer the *.deb file on this link:
    http://ubuntu.blueyonder.co.uk/archi...buntu2_all.deb
    to the Ubuntu PC and try installing it from there, it should help. After downloading, use the terminal to cd to the directory you stored it in, and use
    Code:
    dpkg -i (package name)
    to install. I'm not sure what the official package name is, I think it's either
    Code:
     gnome-desktop
    or
    Code:
     gnome-desktop-environment