Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Wine support Visual Basic 2005/2008

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Does Wine support Visual Basic 2005/2008

Quote Originally Posted by sonicb00m View Post
    It's been 7 years since VS2002 and that doesn't even work properly.
    You're welcome to fix it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Nope,
    Install VirtualBox and setup Windows XP with about 7-12GB of disk space
    Share a folder under VirtualBox to save your stuff to your $HOME/SomeDir

Works great for me for the last year or so......
    Before Executing commands, understand WHAT you are doing and WHY YOU WOULD WANT TO DO THAT. Some Commands can be VERY dangerous if you are uninformed!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by asdfoo View Post
    You're welcome to fix it.
    I don't know what your problem is over this but VS doesn't work in Wine and is unlikely to. The best solution right now for anyone seeking to be productive in VS within a Linux is environment is to install Virtual Box or another virtual machine and run it from inside an XP installation or something similar. It's the only way right now.

I've got very little interest in the Wine project as it is, never mind spending my time trying to get a complex program like visual studio working. Something which I lack any competence to try in the first place.

Your "give it a year statement" is not only unproductive it's total conjecture. It insinuates that all the person has to do to get it working is sit on his **** for a bit and hope for the best because, in your opinion, the applications will just work "in time".

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by sonicb00m View Post
    Your "give it a year statement" is not only unproductive it's total conjecture. It insinuates that all the person has to do to get it working is sit on his **** for a bit and hope for the best because, in your opinion, the applications will just work "in time".
    Actually many programs run under WINE within or less than a year after release.
    This is a common trend. Perhaps there's just so little interest in fixing bugs relating to VB when Linux has so many other native options for scripting and programing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

If all you are looking at doing is working through your class examples on your linux box, You might be able to get away with MONO and Eclipse. It really depends a lot on the elements of .NET that you are using with VB200x and if they are part of the MONO libraries. If nothing else you will learn a lot about VB, .NET, Linux and MONO attempting this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyLuke View Post
    If all you are looking at doing is working through your class examples on your linux box, You might be able to get away with MONO and Eclipse. It really depends a lot on the elements of .NET that you are using with VB200x and if they are part of the MONO libraries. If nothing else you will learn a lot about VB, .NET, Linux and MONO attempting this.
    Why Eclipse? Its Mono support is dreadful at best.

"mono-vbnc" is the package with a VB.NET compiler in it though, and "monodevelop" for an IDE
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

Beans

I use MonoDevelop for C#. I saw an option for VB.NET as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12