Thread: Nexuiz Remix

Beans

Nexuiz Remix

I've made a light-weight version of the 2.5 release suitable for netbooks & old rigs. It offers almost double the performance on old/underpowered hardware & weighs in at only 66MB which is a far cry from the original 636MB.

The main difference is compressed textures, re-encoded sound & a custom cfg. Gone are the external lightmaps, some demos, Netradiant (along with the rest of the Windows stuff) & the new player sounds. It retains support for 32bit Linux only as NetBooks are the main target.

Download: http://omploader.org/vMWk4Mg/nexuiz-remix-25.zip
    md5sum: 9848e7e6ac08a21c1d5a89a4cc77b8e4

Screenshot:

Enjoy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Nexuiz Remix

Although the textures are minimal at best, it still wouldn't be suitable for 'old rigs', as there is alot of polygons on models and such and there is no Hardware T&L pipeline used in the engine, so it'd still be slow from all the heavy vertex transformations. To get around this is to remodel everything low poly.
    I USE THIS SMILEY because im a rocker!!! \m/ pantara and nerveina roles!

also yo-yo ma is great.

Beans

You have a point, tho I suppose that depends on your definition of old. It should be able to run on the average laptop at least (say 1GHz Celeron, GMA 950 & 512MB as a minimum).

Standard Nexuiz returns an average of 16fps on my AAO (at its lowest settings), this returns an average of 29. I left 'demo1' in the release so you can run your own benchmarks. The main reason for the performance difference is the rendering setting 'r_showsurfaces 3' - If you set this to 0 you'll regain simple textures at the expense of half the gain.

If your rig can't run this, maybe try: http://www.alientrap.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4508 - They've gone a step further by practically removing textures altogether, using 2d sprites & having hit-boxes instead of models, you'll also save another 10MB.
    Last edited by ahaslam; April 10th, 2009 at 09:47 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Nice!

Someone on the Alientrap Forums just made a similar one!
    Open-source FPS reborn, evolve with us, xonotic.

RIP Nexuiz - 8) Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the ninja arts of xonotic.
    My Themes: Green and Ruby - Karmic Koala for GNOME | Brown ubuntuforums.org for Stylish

Beans

I see an edit button & I gotta use it.
    Last edited by ahaslam; April 11th, 2009 at 01:08 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

whoooops, sorry, missed that I got so excited about your first post
    Open-source FPS reborn, evolve with us, xonotic.

RIP Nexuiz - 8) Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the ninja arts of xonotic.
    My Themes: Green and Ruby - Karmic Koala for GNOME | Brown ubuntuforums.org for Stylish

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

That's awesome. I found this page by searching Google for "Nexuiz on Netbook". I should just searched Ubuntu Forums instead

Has anyone here run this on a netbook? If you have could you post which model netbook, the specs, and what OS you're running on it.

Beans

Acer Aspire One, 1.5GB RAM, Arch Linux.

tdem demos/demo1.dem = 29fps av. Or did until mesa 7.4...

If you want lighter try the above link to the AT forums, they're working on making it better too, while I'm happy with mine. The more you mod, the less Nex remains imo...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ah, thank you so much!!!!!!
    I heard that somewhere, 'Ubuntu' is a word in the African language, that means 'prosperity, good-fortune, etc.' Nice job Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Absolutely fabulous! Thanks a lot.