Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto; Firefox profile in RAM for increased speed and stability

Beans

Re: Howto; Firefox profile in RAM for increased speed and stability

I managed to screw this up bigtime, and now I cant start Firefox at all, it just says that another process is running

I believe that the problem started with me copying and pasting my old windows profile into .mozilla/profiles, instead of the orignal one I also used the numbers supplied in the guide since I have 4GB RAM). This somehow led to firefox not restoring the files I deleted, and I thought that I would get the same effect if I manually pasted the files in the xxxxxxxx.default-folder. Which I, of course, didnt.

Please, can anyone help me restore Firefox?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hill View Post
    I managed to screw this up bigtime, and now I cant start Firefox at all, it just says that another process is running

I believe that the problem started with me copying and pasting my old windows profile into .mozilla/profiles, instead of the orignal one I also used the numbers supplied in the guide since I have 4GB RAM). This somehow led to firefox not restoring the files I deleted, and I thought that I would get the same effect if I manually pasted the files in the xxxxxxxx.default-folder. Which I, of course, didnt.

Please, can anyone help me restore Firefox?
    First of all, the guide is pretty complicated so errors may appear. I will try to help you to solve the problem. I need you to clarify some questions first.

1. Do you have a copy of your original Ubuntu-firefox profile in a safe place?
    2. Did you use your Windows profile in this guide?
    Ubuntu 7.10

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bossieman View Post
    First of all, the guide is pretty complicated so errors may appear. I will try to help you to solve the problem. I need you to clarify some questions first.

1. Do you have a copy of your original Ubuntu-firefox profile in a safe place?
    2. Did you use your Windows profile in this guide?
    1. Yes, it is safe.

2. Yes.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hill View Post
    1. Yes, it is safe.

2. Yes.
    Rename the file .tmpfs_firefox.sh to something else, like .tmpfs_firefox_HELLOWORLD.sh

Reboot computer.

Empty both the created profile directory and your xxxxx.default directory. Firefox must be closed when doing this.

Then copy the content of your backup into the profile directory.

Rename the file .tmpfs_firefox_HELLOWORLD.sh to .tmpfs_firefox.sh

Make sure firefox are closed. Doubleclick the file .tmpfs_firefox.sh and choose run in terminal. When completed do it ones again.

Go to your xxxxx.default directory. Is the content from the profile directory there? Can you verify that the total diskspace in the directory xxxx.default now represents the amount you have put into fstab?
    If so reboot. After reboot, start a terminal and enter the command mount
    If you see a line starting with firefox it works. Start Firefox.

If this didn't help, can you describe where it went wrong?
    Ubuntu 7.10

Beans

The **** hits the fan in the second last step. When the content should be back i the xxxxxxxx-dir, it's not. Also, mount does not show firefox.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, I would like you to verify that...

1. ...the line PROFILE="xxxxxxxx.default" in the file .tmpfs_frirefox.sh has the same xxxxxxxx values as your xxxxxxxx.default folder located in you /.mozilla/firefox/ directory. Please post the line so I can take a look at it.

2. ...the line starting with firefox /home/ in your /etc/fstab file is correct. Please post the line so I can take a look at it.

Can you post a screen showing the content inside the folder /.mozilla/firefox/ ?
    Ubuntu 7.10

Beans

I "solved" the problem, just reinstalled Firefox. This is/was a clean install, so there was nothing lost. I will perhaps try this again later, but right now I'm not sure about my skills yet. Thank you very much for your help! (tackar sjukt mycket för hjälpen, jag uppskattar verkligen att du tar dig tid att hjälpa efterblivna människor!)

Beans
    Distro

@Bishop Hill

You're from Sweden, me2. The fact that you are swedish will help you a lot to successfully complete the guide. I have a more detailed guide (this guide is based on it) and it is written all in swedish.

If you want to try again follow the swedish guide here, it will be much easier for you to follow and understand.
    I would like to mention for you the following: When you complete a Howto-guide and the final result doesn't work as intended, all that time you spend on the guide is not wasted. You have learned some things even if you aren't aware of it. The more you try the more you will learn.
    When you have successfully completed the guide and it works as intended, I promise you that the time spent was easily worth it. Firefox will work much better!

Regards
    /Bossieman
    Last edited by Bossieman; May 8th, 2009 at 01:46 PM.
    Ubuntu 7.10

Beans

I used the swedish guide, and I must say, this works better than expected! Thank you very much!

Beans

Wow! A Faster Firefox
    Thanks!

Just wondering...
    Will this still work after updating firefox?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast