Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtualization Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

Re: Virtualization Ubuntu 9.04

I had a little problem with Ubuntu 9.04 guest on ArchLinux host. Mouse pointer integration wasn't working altough I had installed Guest Additions. Here is the solution.

How to fix mouse pointer integration in Ubuntu 9.04 installed on VirtualBox

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sabi View Post
    make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmhgfs-only'
    Unable to build the vmhgfs module.

All other modules build correctly.

End result is the mouse cursor is trapped inside the guest window (only manual release using ctrl+alt). Also, after the install, must run vmware-user for other options such as copy/paste to work correctly.

Anyone have a fix/workaround for the trapped mouse cursor?

Thanks,
    sabi
    The vmhgfs module is only responsible for shared folders. I quote from the config script itself, "The filesystem driver (vmhgfs module) is used only for the shared folder feature. the rest of the software provided by VMware tools is designed to work independently of this feature."

I always say no to building it, and UNTIL NOW I have gotten mouse support. I too have captive mouse cursor issues with this Ubuntu release and version 6.5.2 build-156735 of VMware Workstation.

Oddly enough, cut and paste works, and drag and drop works as well. Just this odd inability to move the mouse outside the bounds of the VM window without hitting Ctrl+Alt.

Beans

BryanPearson and sabi

Why don't you try the guide I posted above? Although it mentions VirtualBox it could work for VMWare as well. All you have to do is add some lines in xorg.conf. Make a post here if it works. Here is the link again.

How to fix mouse pointer integration in Ubuntu 9.04 installed on VirtualBox

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

The short answer is there is no "vboxmouse" in vmware. you get that driver when you install the vbox additions

The longer answer is VMWare uses a VMWare Toolbox and not VBoxAdditions.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

I tried your guide, and it didn't work for me with VMware. I did find a fix from sabi, though:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=19

Beans

Can we still install the VirtualBox 2.1.4 PUEL version in Jaunty using this HowTo(for Intrepid)?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1074160

Seems so since Sun has Intrepid and Jaunty using the same download on their Linux Downloads page.
    http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Or do we have to replace "intrepid" with "jaunty" in the Software Sources APT line?
    Last edited by Hatfield; April 25th, 2009 at 12:19 AM.
    Homegrown Box(Ubuntu 9.04 64bit)
    Macbook C2D(2,1)(Ubuntu 8.10 64b)

Beans

Any one compile KVM-85? Get it working? On 9.04?

Beans

What about openvz ?

just tried to install linux-openvz but it isn't in the Jaunty repos. I'm going back to hardy for now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by starfry View Post
    What about openvz ?

just tried to install linux-openvz but it isn't in the Jaunty repos. I'm going back to hardy for now.
    The openvz kernel patch is again kernel dependent. Right now Ubuntu supports openvz only on LTS, which means 8.04 . This is true in all distors (there is lag with openvz in Fedora, Centos, and Debian).

The other option is to compile your own kernel, you would need to get instructions on the openvz site.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

I suspected that was the answer. I was actually planning on running Hardy but I could not get it to install on this new system of mine because it is 100% SATA and the Hardy installers can't cope with it. That's the only reason I installed Jaunty.

Either I find a way to install Hardy or I compile the kernel (I've done it loads of times). I looked at http://wiki.openvz.org/Download/kernel but I can't see a 2.8.28 kernel there.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast