Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtualization Ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Virtualization Ubuntu 9.04

First, vmware server 1.0.6 is very old, server is currently in 2.0.x

Second, 9.04 is a relatively new kernel so you are likely to have problems.

I have become disinterested in supporting VMWare on Ubuntu as it has always been difficult.

If you wish to run VMWare I suggest you use one of the supported platforms listed on the VMWare site. If you wish to use 1.0.6 you *may* have to use Ubuntu 8.04.

Take a look at the so called any-any patch and see if that helps.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=779934

As an alternate to VMWare you might consider KVM or VirtualBox. Of the two VirtualBox is the easier to use.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

I'm ready to switch over to KVM.
    VMware's Player is slow - especially when Compiz is running.

Can my vmware VM's be converted to run under KVM virtualization????

Carl

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cwmoser View Post
    I'm ready to switch over to KVM.
    VMware's Player is slow - especially when Compiz is running.

Can my vmware VM's be converted to run under KVM virtualization????

Carl
    Yes, I have a number of how-to's for KVM on my blog.

http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/con...irtualbox-vdi/

It is not 100 % but it is fairly easy to do.

Personally I run KVM from the command line with a few scripts, again easy to do. There are a number of options for KVM that are not available via virt-manager or virsh.

Again I have a number of how-to's on my blog, they will come up on a google search as well.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    Yes, I have a number of how-to's for KVM on my blog.

http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/con...irtualbox-vdi/

It is not 100 % but it is fairly easy to do.

Personally I run KVM from the command line with a few scripts, again easy to do. There are a number of options for KVM that are not available via virt-manager or virsh.

Again I have a number of how-to's on my blog, they will come up on a google search as well.
    If I am using VirtualBox non-free edition for Windows XP with USB support, is there any advantage for me to use KVM? thanks as I'm not familiar with KVM. Also, does KVM support usb and 3d acceleration?
    DΞLL Precision M6500 "Big Dog": i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300
    .debBlog (cheat sheets)
    IRS Problems?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

kvm supports usb devices. graphics are better in VBox and VMWare.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    kvm supports usb devices. graphics are better in VBox and VMWare.
    Thanks...I'm right where I want to be with VB then...wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on something
    DΞLL Precision M6500 "Big Dog": i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300
    .debBlog (cheat sheets)
    IRS Problems?

Beans

I've installed 9.04 in a virtual machine (VirtualBox 3.0) on a Windows 7 (64bit) host. Initially I had problems with to enable higher screen resolution than 800x600, but after installation of Vboxadditions this problem was gone, and I can adjust the screen resolution to whatever I want.

However, after I installed Vboxadditions, the system became very sluggish. For instance, when I type text, the characters pop up with a significant delay.

I don´t know if this is the right forum to bring up this subject, but I' make a try.

BR

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Smile Re: Virtualization Ubuntu 9.04

Quote Originally Posted by bengtner View Post
    I've installed 9.04 in a virtual machine (VirtualBox 3.0) on a Windows 7 (64bit) host. Initially I had problems with to enable higher screen resolution than 800x600, but after installation of Vboxadditions this problem was gone, and I can adjust the screen resolution to whatever I want.

However, after I installed Vboxadditions, the system became very sluggish. For instance, when I type text, the characters pop up with a significant delay.

I don´t know if this is the right forum to bring up this subject, but I' make a try.

BR
    Hey I wanted to do the opposite of what this guy has...9.04 host with 64 bit windows 7 in vbox will this work on my vaio vgn-nr460? thanks -Quincy

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Lightbulb Re: Virtualization Ubuntu 9.04

Quote Originally Posted by bengtner View Post

BR
    Try turning off compiz in your Ubuntu guest ( system->preferences->appearance preferences->visual effects, select 'none' and then log out and then back in -better yet, restart the VM), that should improve things.

Beans

Ive got ubuntu 9.04 running floorlessly with additions and i did additions without moding although i cant get compiz to work

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast