Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Create a lightweight and massively productive system with Gnome-do Docky!

Beans

Talking Create a lightweight and massively productive system with Gnome-do Docky!

I should clarify: lightweight as in "lightweight on screenspace".

Demo Video

Digg it here if you liked this!

I've been fiddling with my panel layout for a while, trying to combine it well with compiz and gnome-do. I think I have the perfect layout now, which really makes using ubuntu than much more awesome.

This layout will give you:

- Maximum screenspace
    - The fastest way to "do" things
    - Great window management using Compiz

and it feels much more fluid than regular gnome, in my opinion.

Here's a guide to set it up!

Prerequisites

- Gnome-do 0.8+ - http://do.davebsd.com/download.shtml- Add the repository for gnome-do, update your sources and then open a terminal and install it with "sudo aptitude install gnome-do"
    P.S - I recommend making sure gnome-do performs well enough on your system before going through the whole guide.

- Compiz - Most people have this enabled already, so this is no problem.

- Ubuntu 9.04 is recommended, purely for the speed increases and the new notifications which improve the experience quite a bit.

Step 1 - Panels

- Get rid of all panels but one
    - Add what applets you want to this - any which aren't covered by gnome-do. For example, I use the original ubuntu menu, the notification area, and the volume icon.
    - Set this panel to "top", enable autohide and untick the "expand" box.

Now for some gconf tweaks to make it more usable.

- Press Alt-F2 and type

Code:
    gconf-editor
    - then go to edit > find, and search for "panel"
    - Scroll down for something along the lines of "/toplevel/panel_0", and click on it.
    - For "auto-hide size", change this to "1" (anything lower doesn't make a difference))
    - Untick "enable animations"
    - For "hide delay", change this to something much lower, like "50".
    - Scroll down and do the same for "unhide delay"
    - Move your mouse up to the hidden panel and try out the speedy hide and unhide. Adjust to your taste, and when you're happy, move to the next step. Keep gconf open.

Set up gnome-do

Assuming you've just installed gnome-do, do the following, if not, ignore these steps and move on to the further instructions:

- Open gnome-do for the first time. You'll get a little bar with two boxes.
    - Click on the down arrow and go to preferences.
    - Go on "appearance" and change the theme to "Docky". You'll get the dock at the bottom of the screen. Resize to your liking.
    - On "general", tick "start gnome-do at logon"
    - Add whatever features you want in the plugins tab.
    - On docky, right-click the gnome-do icon (far left) and tick "automatically hide" here.

Further instructions for gnome-do

- in gconf, do another search, this time for "gnome-do"
    - scroll down in the results for "Docky/Utilities/DockPreferences"
    - change "summontime" to something slightly lower - perhaps the same as what you set for the panel.
    - Change anything else you want here too - you can do this later.
    - You might want to change the shortcut for gnome-do's search - go to the "keyboard" tab. I like to use CTRL-Space.

Compiz

- I recommend allowing the scale plugin to activate in the bottom left/right corner. This makes managing windows without a panel much easier.

Done!

- You can search in gnome-do by activating the keyboard shortcut. It can do almost anything - refer to the gnome-do homepage for more info here.

Enjoy this layout - I know I am enjoying it
    Last edited by Mazza558; May 6th, 2009 at 06:46 PM.

Beans

Re: Create a lightweight and massively productive system with Gnome-do Docky!

Thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I don't use Gnome, but it does look really nice. I'd be curious to see it in action.

Beans

I have been using a very similar layout to you, Docky is just so great, ever since I switched to Ubuntu and got Docky I have found that it integrates much better than AWN. I do miss some of the features of the Dock in Leopard, but the way it is like QuickSilver and the Dock in one single thing it is fantastic. I sure hope gnome-do makes it into gnome itself.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've done basically the same thing. I also have wallpaper-tray installed, it changes the wallpaper every 15 minutes.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I've done basically the same thing. I also have wallpaper-tray installed, it changes the wallpaper every 15 minutes.

Jim
    The one in the screenshot was pretty cool.

I don't have enough to change wallpaper a lot, I'll have to find some good ones and look into it

Beans

@mazza 558
    i would have thought the 2 mouse cursors would make it very productive too

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by benj1 View Post
    @mazza 558
    i would have thought the 2 mouse cursors would make it very productive too
    Lazy image-editing, that's what

It was the only way to show both panels at the same time in the screenshot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

"Lightweight" is a bit of a misnomer. Gnome-Do has a lot of GNOME and Mono dependencies, and Compiz isn't exactly light.

But that's just my 2¢. Thanks for the tutorial.
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ghindo View Post
    "Lightweight" is a bit of a misnomer. Gnome-Do has a lot of GNOME and Mono dependencies, and Compiz isn't exactly light.

But that's just my 2¢. Thanks for the tutorial.
    Compiz is a lot lighter than it seems to get a rap for. Running it standalone it uses almost no more memory than Openbox did. Some higher CPU, sure, but not a lot.

Anyway, I'd love to try this thing, but again, I don't have GNOME and don't want the ~200MB of dependencies.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast