Thread: Buy firewire Belkin F5U513v pcmcia card or not

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Buy firewire Belkin F5U513v pcmcia card or not

I could not find any info whether the Belkin pcmcia F5U513v card works , the F5U513ea does but is not available. And I want to buy it, but can't avord risking my dough. So can anyone tell me whether I should go for it. I'm using kubuntu intrepid at this moment. I noticed that Belkin cards work great with ubuntu. But I have to be sure. Still expensive here

This is the card, I'm talking about
    http://www.compsource.com/ttechnote....V&vid=59&src=F

Thanx in advance

Laptop
    Lenovo R61i
    Last edited by mibungu; April 8th, 2009 at 03:17 PM.

Beans

Re: Buy firewire Belkin F5U513v pcmcia card or not

According to this page it isn't supported by the Linux kernel, however this does not mean it's not. According to the list there's other models from Belkin which is supported.

If you have patience you can always wait for more information about this, but for now the purchase might be a dissipointment.
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks khelben1979 . Yeah , while googling I ended up on that page too. That's why I posted this question. The store also has firewire Lacie 800 pc cards, but wasn't succesful finding any info about support for those either. The belkin card is the last one in the store. Almost bought it, but hope someone has good news for me. I tried checking whether it had the same chipset as for instance the other F5U5.. types. But couldn't get info about that either.

Well hopefully someone can give me some positive news about the Lacie 800 pc model if possible, which is more expensive. The problem is that almost no store sell these cards , since I'm on a small Island and most laptop's come with firewire build in now, so these pcmcia cards they just won't order for me.

Well till the next good news
    Last edited by mibungu; April 9th, 2009 at 12:55 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Anyone with some other good news or advise?

Beans
    Distro

Well was able to try out the lacie pc 800, easily comes out of the box and bag. And that it worked well. So that's the one I'm getting in two weeks.I believe the belkin will work but still won't risk it. ThNX anywa

Beans

Yes, better to play it safe. The Linux kernel contains a lot of hardware support, so I wouldn't be surprised if it actually works, but as I wrote I was unable to find any information on it.
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.