Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Trust Webcam

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Beans
    162
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Trust Webcam

    I have in the last few days been moving my PC (Dell Dimension E520) to use Ubunto in lieu of Windows XP Pro.

    I guess you already know this, but Ubuntu is great.

    However I'd be grateful for any suggestions others may have to solve the following problem

    When I try to activate the text picture in Skype all I get is a multi coloured gibberish pattern.

    My webcam is a Trust WB-1400T

    The camera works fine in Ekiga and in Cheese Webcam Booth.

    The image is distorted in Camorama.

    Any suggestions please?

    Alan

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bulgaria
    Beans
    165
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Trust Webcam

    Skype uses v4l1, and Ubuntu Intrepid, Jaunty and Karmic use v4l2. So, instead of running skype with this command:
    Code:
    skype
    Run it wit this command:
    Code:
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
    I hope this helps
    Angel Angelov

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hippiesoldierstan
    Beans
    2,079
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Trust Webcam

    Quote Originally Posted by harfin View Post
    I have in the last few days been moving my PC (Dell Dimension E520) to use Ubunto in lieu of Windows XP Pro.

    I guess you already know this, but Ubuntu is great.

    However I'd be grateful for any suggestions others may have to solve the following problem

    When I try to activate the text picture in Skype all I get is a multi coloured gibberish pattern.

    My webcam is a Trust WB-1400T

    The camera works fine in Ekiga and in Cheese Webcam Booth.

    The image is distorted in Camorama.

    Any suggestions please?

    Alan


    yes alan went through the same thing 3weeks ago the same process

    ekiga ok skype no good

    turns outs trust webcams are not UVC and therefore not picked up by 9.04

    in the end after 2 weeks of research i found out the best fit are logitech UVC cams

    a complete list is there

    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SkypeWebCams

    and from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Webcam



    Many webcams will "just work" in Ubuntu. There is a USB standard that defines USB streaming video called UVC. This stands for Universal Video Class, and it does for webcams what UMS does for USB memory sticks and hard drives. This allows one driver to work with many webcams. When looking to purchase a webcam for use with Ubuntu, you should look for a UVC compatible camera. The Linux-UVC project has a good list of UVC compatible webcams as well as The Quickcam Team for Logitech cameras.



    i got logitech E 3500 and it got picked up in a millisecond


    hopes this helps


    i changed from xp to 9.04 and i thought that having to buy a new cam was a small price to pay



    shan

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Beans
    162
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Trust Webcam

    Quote Originally Posted by DexterLB View Post
    Skype uses v4l1, and Ubuntu Intrepid, Jaunty and Karmic use v4l2. So, instead of running skype with this command:
    Code:
    skype
    Run it wit this command:
    Code:
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
    I hope this helps
    Thank you for that very quick reply - however, I did as you suggested and got the error message

    Details: Failed to execute child process "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so" (No such file or directory)
    Hmm.

    Alan

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bulgaria
    Beans
    165
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Trust Webcam

    Before doing that, try installing libv4l
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install libv4l
    and then try running skype with
    Code:
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
    Angel Angelov

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Beans
    162
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Trust Webcam

    Quote Originally Posted by shantiq View Post
    turns outs trust webcams are not UVC and therefore not picked up by 9.04
    Thanks for the reply.

    I had already looked at another list of webcams in the forum (can't remember where of the top of my head) and my camera (WB-1400T) was listed as working fine with Skype.



    Alan

    Quote Originally Posted by DexterLB View Post
    Before doing that, try installing libv4l
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install libv4l
    and then try running skype with
    Code:
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
    Did as you suggested and this time I got:
    Details: Failed to execute child process "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so" (No such file or directory)

    Alan

    Quote Originally Posted by harfin View Post
    Did as you suggested and this time I got:
    Details: Failed to execute child process "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so" (No such file or directory)

    Alan
    Any further suggestions anyone?

    Alan
    Last edited by howefield; October 11th, 2016 at 02:10 PM. Reason: posts combined.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    2

    Re: Trust Webcam

    Quote Originally Posted by harfin View Post
    Any further suggestions anyone?

    Alan
    As you can see with:
    Code:
    dpkg -S /usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so
    that file is included in the package libv4l-0.

    So run this command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libv4l-0
    and you should fix your issue.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Beans
    4

    Re: Trust Webcam

    Well, hello all! First post in the Ubuntu community!
    Thanks for the help, ppl! I followed Dexter's suggestion and they worked for a VIMICRO USB2.0 PC Camera (VC0323) with me but:
    1) As soon as I close Terminal, I lose the application as well, but I think that's quite normal (yea, absolute Linux n00b here)
    2) I get the following
    Code:
    libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG: error: more then 63 AC components (70) in huffman unit
    X Error, request 42, minor 0, error code 8 BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
    Cheers!
    Last edited by absurdus_delirium; September 8th, 2009 at 05:21 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bulgaria
    Beans
    165
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Trust Webcam

    Quote Originally Posted by absurdus_delirium View Post
    As soon as I close Terminal, I lose the application as well, but I think that's quite normal
    When you close the terminal, the command which it's executing (e.g. bash or sh, depending on your settings) is ended the "hard" way. It's preferred that you don't close terminals, and type 'exit' instead. Closing the terminal won't do any harm, but if you want to be a geek, start typing exit . Anyway, when sh or bash is terminated, it terminates a command that's running inside. So, if you want to run command foo in the background append & at the end:
    Code:
     foo &
    Instead of
    Code:
     foo
    Quote Originally Posted by absurdus_delirium View Post
    I get the following
    Code:
    libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG: error: more then 63 AC components (70) in huffman unit
    X Error, request 42, minor 0, error code 8 BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
    There's something about this console error in this bug. Do you get black screen or some distorted picture?
    Angel Angelov

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •