Thread: system wide audio plugins

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

system wide audio plugins

hello everyone. i'm a new ubuntu user. i've migrated from fedora 10. i use an hp pavilion dv7 laptop and it is equipped with a "woofer". obviously not a high powered speaker but a woofer nonetheless. i installed windows on a spare drive to update my bios and while i was there i thought i'd try out the audio hardware using the proprietary drivers. i was surprised at how much bass the thing put out and after checking out the configuration i realized it was because the driver had a built in crossover to direct low frequencies to the woofer and away from the front speakers.

i tried a simple bass boost in ubuntu and fedora but all this does is distort the front speakers which weren't meant to handle these low frequencies. i just read this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=476146 about using system wide plugins but i want to know how i can mess around with this myself. is there a tutorial for how to use the .asoundrc file? basically i'll need to either use a crossover to redirect low frequencies or i'll have to duplicate the audio and use a high pass for the front and a low pass for the woofer.

another question i have is can i use multiple plugins?

thanks

jeremy boyd
    ubuntu 8.1 64 bit
    hp pavilion dv7
    Last edited by jerboyd; April 8th, 2009 at 12:36 AM.