Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about next Ubuntu release

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Question Question about next Ubuntu release

I have 2 questions:

1. I am using Ubuntu 8.10
    I want to upgrade to the beta version 9.04, but the complete version will come after 16 days, after it comes do I need to upgrade again (excluding the update) for the complete release ?

2. While Downloading/Installing the Upgrade Version, and my electricity goes off (because it happens some time) does it crash and make Ubuntu 8.10 unusable ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Question about next Ubuntu release

1. Unless you absolutely need 9.04 now, I suggest you until the release !

2. Even if your installation "looks" ok after being interrupted by a power failure, I would start over anyway, just in case. (Happened to me twice last year).
    Haven't used Ubuntu in a while....
    Glad I came back !

Beans

1. I am using Ubuntu 8.10
    I want to upgrade to the beta version 9.04, but the complete version will come after 16 days, after it comes do I need to upgrade again (excluding the update) for the complete release ?
    Hi, if you upgrade to the latest BETA version, you might get annoyed by bugs that may affect u. In some cases you may not. If you don't mind that and DO upgrade, you will get daily builds/updates to the beta version of ubuntu and, no u won't need to "upgrade" it again. It'll just notify you that there are new updates available. All you have to do is select, "install updates". By the 23rd, you should end up with a complete system. (Even i installed the beta just today. Im just updating it! ).

2. While Downloading/Installing the Upgrade Version, and my electricity goes off (because it happens some time) does it crash and make Ubuntu 8.10 unusable ?
    Well, even I have this problem. In fact, i just started to burn the "9.10 Beta" LiveCD on a CD-RW and at THAT time the stupid electricity went out. I had to throw away that disk. What a waste. Anyway, in the same way, when downloading, i'm not really sure if it'll cause any harm. It might and then again, might not. On the other hand, when "INSTALLING", it is more likely for ur system to go "wonky". (What i'd usually do is pray that the lights don't go off! ).

Well, that's about it, hope that answered ur Q's . (amongst my ridiculous comments! )

EDIT: Woops!...someone already answered by the time i finished my lecture... spitty...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i suggest waiting until final release, then doing a fresh install. you have been warned.

Beans

I am a new user of linux and i am not very know about technology. 2 question about upgrade from 8.04.1:
    1. If i am using the cd of 8.10 to upgrade. It must be 'alternate' cd?
    2. I am using 8.04 32-bit but i notice that my system can support 64-bit. Then can i upgrade to 8.10 64-bit?
    About the normal release. I can always upgrade it to a newer version, right? because the statement write support for 18 months only.
    Last edited by JakcV; April 8th, 2009 at 06:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by JakcV View Post
    I am a new user of linux and i am not very know about technology. 2 question about upgrade from 8.04.1:
    1. If i am using the cd of 8.10 to upgrade. It must be 'alternate' cd?
    Yes. See http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgr...rnate%20CD/DVD

Quote Originally Posted by JakcV View Post
    2. I am using 8.04 32-bit but i notice that my system can support 64-bit. Then can i upgrade to 8.10 64-bit?
    No. You should do a fresh install.

Beans

To upgrade to the next release (NOTE: this excludes beta/alpha releases).
    Code:
    sudo update-manager -d
    Then select the option to upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10.

Regards
    Iain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I believe that the 'official' stance is that you should be able to upgrade Ubuntu without requiring a fresh install.

I have updated several machines across versions without doing a fresh install with no resulting problems.

With the install process becoming better I believe we should expect a migration from one version to another without any major disruption.
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

sorry to barge in...

i got a question as well.

call me lazy for asking,but im not connected to the net...bandwidth is expensive and service is shyt so i manually download the programs (using my cell phone) and apps i need or seem cool.

anyway if i were to upgrade from 8.10 32bit to 9.04 32bit using a CD/DVD do i have to manually download all the apps and programs again or will it be there ,maybe just needing an update or should it work like i had 8.10?
    -Dogs are forever in the push up postion-
    -Linux user #488292 -Ubuntu user #?????? -Launchpad id : neoaxes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by babaroga View Post
    I just wiped 8.04 and fresh installed 9.04.

I runs absolutely flawless, surprised its even a Beta.

No Regrets.

With ext4 its fast & smooth ... a pure joy to operate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast