Thread: ssh Not connecting

Beans

ssh Not connecting

I have a server behind a netgear router. and I am tring to connect to the server(boxA) from machine B, but when I type ssh boxA it hangs. I have checked the iptables and nothing is found. I am able to use svn+ssh to connect, Putty connects. No other computers connects to boxA. Any ideas????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ssh Not connecting

Try:
    Code:
    ssh -vv boxA
    see what it says.
    Please mark completed threads as [SOLVED], which lets us find solutions faster!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tbear55387 View Post
    I have a server behind a netgear router. and I am tring to connect to the server(boxA) from machine B, but when I type ssh boxA it hangs. I have checked the iptables and nothing is found. I am able to use svn+ssh to connect, Putty connects. No other computers connects to boxA. Any ideas????
    Do you have an account on boxA?

Bill
    Ubuntu 10.04-Server: HP Pavilion: AMD Athlon 3200; 2gb RAM; GeForce4 MX - nForce; 160gb HDD; 1TB eSATA External HDD | Ubuntu 10.04: Dell D600; Intel Pentium M 1600 MHz; 2gb RAM; ATI Radeon 9000 (RV250); 60gb HD | Ubuntu User #24614

Beans

Sorry about that I ran a command and it took down the server all night - oops!
    OpenSSH_4.3p2, OpenSSL 0.9.8b 04 May 2006
    debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
    debug1: Applying options for *
    debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
    then hangs

Beans

Okay after trying again here is some more of what I recieved:
    OpenSSH_4.3p2, OpenSSL 0.9.8b 04 May 2006
    debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
    debug1: Applying options for *
    debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
    debug1: Connecting to xx.servername.xx [xx.xx.xx.xx] port 22.
    debug1: connect to address xx.xx.xx.xx port 22: Connection timed out
    ssh: connect to host xx.servername.xx port 22: Connection timed out

i have checked the router and it forwards to the server. I am able to connect using programs like putty just not from command line or using tools like sftp or scp or ssh from command line

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Let's make sure it is trying to connect.
    While SSH is trying to connect, i.e. before it says Connection timed out, run this command from another shell:
    netstat -tn
    and see if you can see a connection to the server in question port 22 in the SYN_SENT state. If not, then for some reason SSH isn't really trying to connect. If the entry is there, then suspect router forwarding not being right, or a firewall issue.

Beans

I went and typed ssh to box A from box B; boc B states it is trying to connect, I then netstat -tn and found SYN_SENT.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Then it must be a port forwarding problem so the router isn't actually forwarding port 22 properly, a firewall blocking the connection, or a plain routing problem where B can't each a at all. If your request was getting through (and replies getting back) you would quickly either get the connection accepted. Or rejected if SSH wasn't listening.

SYN_SENT means the connection request has been sent but no response received yet.

Beans

Thanks you for your help. I will look down that path and see what I can find out. Many thanks.