Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skype sound stopped?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Skype sound stopped?

I had some issues before. I have since uninstalled pulse audio and just use alsamixer and every thing works fine. Just tried my skype to be sure.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by demarshall View Post
    Thanks _Purple_. I had already installed the packages listed there but need to do what follows that.
    Did you change the audio settings in skype?
    Peace
    YAY! #200

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hi there,

Not a solution to anyone's problem specifically, but some interesting experiences and observations.

I run Hardy and Intrepid.

In Hardy Skype worked perfectly, no "fiddling" until Friday, when after a number of updates, Skype started complaining about a playback error. This I atrributed to the updates (the updates caused a number of other problems and eventually I reverted to the previous kernel).

Anyway, after some investigation, I think that I have found the real culprit. I run Sun xVM with Windows (don't ask...) and until Thursday or Friday I had not figured out how to get the sound to work (doh...). Skype works fine, until xVM is running (more accurately, Windows is running) at which point it "steals" Pulse Audio and locks out Skype. Shut down xVM and Skype works. The solution was simple, since I don't need sound in xVM, I turned it off and now Skype works perfectly all the time. I doubt that xVM is your problem, but you may want to look for something else that is "stealing" the Pulse Audio and locking it up. Whether this is actually xVM or Skype which "misbehaves" is not clear to me and someone with more understanding can probably answer this.

As for Intrepid, it's neat, but I could only get Skype (and the recorder) to work by removing Pulse Audo completley and reinstalling ALSA (there are a number of threads that explain how to do this). After doing this, getting Skype to work was simple and only required tweaking a couple of the settings to get it 100%.

Don't know that this helps you, but it may give you something to think about.

Hope you get it working!!
    Jac de Beer

Save the Earth, it is the only planet that has chocolate!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12