Thread: F-Spot problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

F-Spot problems

I am having a problem with F-spot that has just seemed to have begun.

I am using Ubuntu 8.10 and F-spot 0.5.0.3

When I am in the browse view all the photos are displayed with their dates underneath. You have to check each photo out to see the file name. At the moment it is not possible to import further photos taken on the same date - even if they clearly have different file names.

I'd be grateful for a solution to this as F-spot seems much more user friendly that Digikam in most other ways.

I have also only received errors when trying to use the Firefox importer but that could be tied in with the date problem.

Thanks
    Susan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: F-Spot problems

So, what are you trying to do? I couldn't find a problem in your post...

When I open F-Spot it has all my images. I can select Import from the Photo menu and import more pictures, but I'm not sure that's your issue...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

You should try to click on the Import button in the top left and try to import more photos from your camera or whatnot. I think it should work when you do that.

Beans
    Distro

The problem is that if the photo was taken on the same day as any of the photos in the database it wont import it. For some reason it has suddenly made the date taken as a primary key or something. In the past I have added in a whole batch of photos taken on the dame day with no problem...

When you opened the program it used to show the title of he photo underneath and I think that was the primary key, the date was just embedded so that you could sort by month or year etc.

I hope that explains the problem a bit better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

So, I think it works for me, and I can get the date to show underneath the photo as well. To change that, you just go to View->Thumbnail Elements.

Could you tell exactly what happens when you try to import? Maybe show screenshots or something as well?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi

Not exactly a solution to any problem but have you tried Picasa (It's in the repos)

I have found this to be far better at organising my photos in an order that I want and not what the app wants !!!!!!

As a bonus you can store your photos on your google web page which i use as backup storage.

Hope this helps

Clive
    There's Gnome place like ~/

Sony Vaio All in One Ubuntu 13.04
    Acer Aspire 5315 Ubuntu 13.04 Toshiba NB200 Ubuntu Gnome 12.10

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Clive, I do actually have Picasa and it is good for exporting to Picasa web Albums. The problem is that they are the only export option whereas F-spot has a plugin to allow you to export to web gallery (a must) and flickr as well as others. Also f-spot has the option to create tags of people or places whereas Picasa is a bit limited to albums. Suprising because you can usually rely on Google to be the leader in the seach field....

So Picasa is a useful backup but I am really keen to get my f-spot functunality back.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Temposs View Post
    Could you tell exactly what happens when you try to import? Maybe show screenshots or something as well?
    Nothing happens as such they simply don't import, there are no error messages or anything. When I look through I discover that F-spot has chosen to import some and not others and the pattern seems to be that it is importing those taken on a different day to the existing photos in the gallery.

In response to the first part of the message I would rather see the thumb nails with the file name rather than the date underneath - I'm sure I used to.