Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing Linux on a laptop with no operating system

Beans

Installing Linux on a laptop with no operating system

Hi,

I plan on purchasing a laptop with no Operating System to save myself $95 USD on Vista.

This is a Sager (Clevo) notebook: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7680-...tu-p-2412.html

I'm thinking I will burn Ubuntu 8.10 to a disc, and then try to get it up and running on the new laptop, how difficult will this be?

How easy will it be to get everything up and running given I probably won't have Windows anywhere near the laptop until perhaps Windows 7 (by everything I mean the drivers, touchpad, webcam) etc...?

Thanks
    Last edited by ARom; April 6th, 2009 at 12:38 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Installing Linux on a laptop with no operating system

I don't have any experience of freespire, so I can't help on that one.
    As for the "2009" version of Ubuntu, I wonder what they're getting at with the offer: as far as I know the latest "official" release of Ubuntu is 2008 (version 8.10)
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.
    Please use CODE tags.
    A low-volume blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    I don't have any experience of freespire, so I can't help on that one.
    As for the "2009" version of Ubuntu, I wonder what they're getting at with the offer: as far as I know the latest "official" release of Ubuntu is 2008 (version 8.10)
    Never mind with the eBay link, I think I need to create an installation disc of Ubuntu 8.10, this shouldn't be too hard should it?

Just mount the files on a CD and access them from the laptop and install?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

You will need to download and burn a cd/dvd with the iso image.
    I would like to thank all great folks here for the help, and knowledge I got here
    Relax mate,You're not using windows now (and the nightmares are over!)-- WatchingThePain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Download the .iso. Burn that to a cd. Many good program out there for that. Pop the cd into your pc and boot from that then bob's your uncle and what not

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation
    So long and thanks for all the fish

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'd be a little concerned about the wireless and built-in camera; you might want to do a little research first about whether they're supported under Linux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    I'd be a little concerned about the wireless and built-in camera; you might want to do a little research first about whether they're supported under Linux.
    O.K, I'll ask the Seller & then the guys @ NBR about wireless and the built in camera.

Especially wireless.... but why does my wireless work fine on my current laptop with Vista Premium & Ubuntu 8.10, Ubuntu 8.10 recognized the wireless connection right away, is that because of Vista?

Without Vista, does that mean it will be harder to get wireless up and running in 8.10?
    Last edited by ARom; April 6th, 2009 at 12:46 AM.

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: Installing Linux on a laptop with no operating system

Actually, Vista has nothing really to do with it. It's a matter of what chipset is in the wireless adapter. Unless you are using the same adapter, you will want to research what chipset is in the adapter. At the vendor site for the laptop, does it have a Windows driver for the wireless? If so, if worse comes to worse you should be able to get it running with ndiswrapper.

Another potential area of concern is the video. What model/chipset is the video? You should research this as well so you will know in advance if people have had any trouble with getting that chipset to work in Linux, and if a work-around was found. Restricted drivers or such things as Envyng can be a good friend in this area.

Those are 2 things you definitely want to work before you even worrying about things like the webcam (I understand that it sounds important to you, but what good is a webcam if you can't get wireless working or you can't display things on your screen the way you'd like to).

The best place to start is always the manufacturers support site. Look for wireless drivers and check on video drivers (the video drivers themselves won't be useable, but they can point to the chipset and therefore the Linux driver you'll need). Be sure to look for a specifications page to see if it lists the detail of which wireless and which video came in the computer.

Dave

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anewguy View Post
    Actually, Vista has nothing really to do with it. It's a matter of what chipset is in the wireless adapter. Unless you are using the same adapter, you will want to research what chipset is in the adapter. At the vendor site for the laptop, does it have a Windows driver for the wireless? If so, if worse comes to worse you should be able to get it running with ndiswrapper.

Another potential area of concern is the video. What model/chipset is the video? You should research this as well so you will know in advance if people have had any trouble with getting that chipset to work in Linux, and if a work-around was found. Restricted drivers or such things as Envyng can be a good friend in this area.

Those are 2 things you definitely want to work before you even worrying about things like the webcam (I understand that it sounds important to you, but what good is a webcam if you can't get wireless working or you can't display things on your screen the way you'd like to).

The best place to start is always the manufacturers support site. Look for wireless drivers and check on video drivers (the video drivers themselves won't be useable, but they can point to the chipset and therefore the Linux driver you'll need). Be sure to look for a specifications page to see if it lists the detail of which wireless and which video came in the computer.

Dave
    O.K great, thanks guys/gals.

Any other tips/suggestions are welcome.

Beans

I may just get a cheap copy of XP and do the Wubi thing, no?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast