Thread: dual graphics cards

Beans

dual graphics cards

My rig has an abit ip35 pro, and in the master graphics card slot I have a geforce 9800gx2. I tried to put the slave card in, being a e-geforce 9600 GT but upon doing so ubuntu boots, I can see the loading bar, but then asks me for my username/password in a shell. The command

Code:
    startx
    tells me that the server has had a fatal error, being there is no display. I would love to run both of these at the same time, and infact the live cd and windows run fine.

~Any help is appreciated, Istvan.

Beans

Re: dual graphics cards

Have you tried running sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg? If you are lucky that might help. What do you have in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf? I guess you could get the setup working by editing that.

Here's what I have in my xorg.conf: http://pastebin.com/m6966b171
    Hope that helps!

-elysion

Beans

while i was stuck in that bash thing I did try that, to no avail.

However note that by removing the second card I was with no further changes able to boot into my system as usual.

Beans

Which version of ubuntu are you using? Can you post the xorg.conf somewhere?

Beans

nvidia has an extensive README for each driver version. google nvidia REEADME driver.version (google nvidia 185.13) to find a README. the nvidia 185.13 driver is in intrepid main repository for now.

Beans

Here is my xorg:

http://pastebin.com/f4197bf12

Is it the graphics driver that is doing it? I un-installed the driver before inserting the new card...