Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iBook G3 Working Tutorial

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Talking iBook G3 Working Tutorial

Work in Progress

As it says above, this is a work-in-progress. It will be updated when I find something new.
    I do not take credit for getting this to work. Most of the things that didn't work before now work thanks to the Ubuntu developers.
    Tested on Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope Beta. Should work on 9.04 and above.
    Tested on iBook G3. 500 MhZ. 384 MB RAM. 8 MB VRAM.

Keyboard-Works
    Keyboard Brightness/Volume Control-
    Screen-Works
    Sleep-Works (doesn't sleep when closed. must select from menu.)
    USB-Works
    Firewire-N/A
    Ethernet-N/A
    Sound-Works
    Mic-Doesn't work
    WiFi-Works
    Trackpad-Works (F12 for right-click)

Installation
    Download Ubuntu PowerPC.
    I used the LiveCD but the alternate install should work fine to.
    Burn it to a CD and boot your iBook from it.(Press C after you hear the startup chime.
    Press TAB key.
    Type in
    Code:
    live-nosplash-powerpc
    (or something similar to that. should be on the second line all the way to the left.)
    Be patient, it takes a while.
    Don't do anything until you are on the Ubuntu Desktop.
    If your screen is in the top, left corner and there's two of the same thing, don't panic.
    To fix the screen you can either do it while still running the LiveCD(what I did) or wait until you have installed it to your HD.
    The instructions below in the Screen Resolution section works for both methods.
    Make sure you can hear sound (should hear drums when entering desktop)
    On the top bar, press the little button that looks like a cell-phone signal.
    Connect to a network to test if WiFi is working.
    If everything is working fine, install Ubuntu.
    There is an option for Macintosh keyboards.
    I used the whole disk since it's only 10gb but those of you who replaced the HD can set up a separate partition.
    Go through with the install.
    Reboot.
    Getting everything to work
    Screen Resolution
    If your screen is small and in the top, left corner of the screen with the exact same thing under it, follow the instructions below.
    Run the following command in the terminal. It will shut down X Windows.
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    Once it is closed type in the following codes:
    If the method doesn't work for you the first time, redo it but this time enter the following code
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    and go through it.
    Now enter the code below
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Then, edit it to match this:
    Code:
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "ATI Rage 128"
    Driver "r128"
    BusID "PCI:0:16:0"
    Option "UseFBDev" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    HorizSync 60-60
    VertRefresh 43-117
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    DefaultDepth 16
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection
    The method above was posted on this thread by chriz74.
    To start X Windows again, enter
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    Now you should have the desktop in 1024x768!
    To be continued....when i have time...
    Last edited by mellflores1; April 3rd, 2009 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Adding to post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: iBook G3 Working Tutorial

I've the same Ibook G3 500mhz and 640mb RAM and I've made it work too on 9.04.

I just used the alternate installation CD. The installation was so smooth. It used to be a little bit more complicated with 8.04 and 8.10.

Is it just my imagination or something else but I think the computer is faster with Jaunty. The sound works out of the box. All the basics works. Ethernet, My Airport Express like card from a third party vendor that I bought from Ebay. External USB mouse.

Haven't tried the more complicated ones. Like Keyboard backlight, CPU scaling etc.

The only problem is with the obvious graphics showing up in 800x600 split into 2 computer screen.

My old xorg.conf used in 8.04 worked just fine with a minor alteration under driver. It used to be "ati" but it didnt' work anymore. I changed it to "fbdev" and it worked. My working xorg.conf is as below.

Code:
    Section "Device"
           Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
           Driver          "fbdev"                 #(It was "ati" before)
           BusID           "PCI:0:16:0"
           Option          "UseFBDev"              "false"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
           Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
           HorizSync       58-62
           VertRefresh     75-117
           Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
           Identifier      "Default Screen"
           Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
           Device          "Configured Video Device"
           DefaultDepth 24
           SubSection "Display"
           Depth 24
           Modes "1024x768"
           EndSubSection
    EndSection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Greetings!

Though I'm a non-techie with a 900mHz G3 14" iBook, I'd be happy to contribute to this forum topic anyway I can! Your already listed points are straight on!

My main issues right now is the uncontrollable backlight and that Jaunty keeps the drive spinning and heats up the unit till the fan revs up and never backs down. To me a energy saver "cut drive when not required" mode is needed.

Good job!

Geekless Jim
    Last edited by JGreenidge; April 18th, 2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: update

Beans
    Hidden!

You guys are doing a great job for the ppc-G3 owners with those nice reports.

For cpu-frequency scaling, in my mind just installing cpudyn from the repos should do the trick, rather than relying on the default on-demand which usually requires a modification to the config file to get it to work.

For me, cpudyn is the right choice if you want frequency scaling since it has a very low-latency switch - you do anything and it immediately goes into full-speed, and then backs down very quickly as well. Some might say that it is best to just let the cpu run as fast as it can all the time so it will go back to sleep faster, but if you desire frequency scaling, cpudyn is my choice for single-cpu ppc boxes.

And since Jaunty is still rc-status, be sure to run top or install HTOP and see if there are any runaway processes eating up the cpu time. This has happened to me in the past only on my G4 iBook with Network Manager, although they say that has been fixed. It is still a good idea to check top or htop every once in awhile.

Keep up the good reports - and that nice xorg.conf posting for Jaunty!
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: iBook G3 Working Tutorial

Dear Mellflores1,

I would be grateful if you could let me know the instructions and code of your working keyboard backlight. It's very confusing to me what they've written in other places. I've tried it before on 8.04 and 8.10 and it didn't work out.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by anandrajny; April 21st, 2009 at 12:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Dear JGreenidge,

Anybody that could install or have the guts to try and install an ancient ibook with the newest version Linux OS like Ubuntu which an average person is dreadful of, and even worse, a Release Candidate, is a techie guy in my dictionary. So, whether you like it or not, you are a geek too. LOL.

There are like 100,000 tech geniuses in the Linux community but since we are the first ones to take the risk and spend time in the Jaunty & Ibook Department on this forum, we are the masters of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JGreenidge View Post
    Greetings!

Though I'm a non-techie with a 900mHz G3 14" iBook, I'd be happy to contribute to this forum topic anyway I can! Your already listed points are straight on!

My main issues right now is the uncontrollable backlight and that Jaunty keeps the drive spinning and heats up the unit till the fan revs up and never backs down. To me a energy saver "cut drive when not required" mode is needed.

Good job!

Geekless Jim

Beans
    Hidden!

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I'm downloading Xubuntu 9.04 Release Candidiate and I'll try to remember to post what works and doesn't etc.
    ThinkPad R61 14" | Fedora 14 | Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz | 4GB DDR2 | 64GB SSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by anandrajny View Post
    Dear JGreenidge,

Anybody that could install or have the guts to try and install an ancient ibook with the newest version Linux OS like Ubuntu which an average person is dreadful of, and even worse, a Release Candidate, is a techie guy in my dictionary. So, whether you like it or not, you are a geek too. LOL.
    Naw, you give me WAY too much credit! I simply followed the directions of installing Ubuntu to a "T" as described those on some Ubuntu PPC page. That's why I don't understand why so many seem to have trouble just installing the CD. Maybe I fluked out, I dunno. Like I won't touch Terminal on my own like a hot potato till I find someone's proven lead. Like getting the HD spun down and the heat off and getting the F-keys to work for the screen backlight. I think the secret to getting more people happy into Ubuntu are clear concise step-by-step instructions that don't treat the newbie like a rocket scientist, and one shouldn't have to go treasure hunting all over the web for such enlightenment! That's why I hope this topic remains the watering hole for the PPC Ubuntu newbie who simply wants a break from Tiger and Panther -- my main reason resurrecting my iBook with Ubuntu.

Another hang; Now I do have Tiger on another partition on my iBook but no Ubuntu desktop icons, but do see Tiger icons on Ubuntu's desktop. It's be a nice way to access files from each OS if I can do this.

Truly Geekless Jim

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mellflores1 View Post
    Work in Progress

As it says above, this is a work-in-progress. It will be updated when I find something new.
    I do not take credit for getting this to work. Most of the things that didn't work before now work thanks to the Ubuntu developers.
    Tested on Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope Beta. Should work on 9.04 and above.
    Tested on iBook G3. 500 MhZ. 384 MB RAM. 8 MB VRAM.

Keyboard-Works
    Keyboard Brightness/Volume Control-
    Screen-Works
    Sleep-Works (doesn't sleep when closed. must select from menu.)
    USB-Works
    Firewire-N/A
    Ethernet-N/A
    Sound-Works
    Mic-Doesn't work
    WiFi-Works
    Trackpad-Works (F12 for right-click)

Installation
    Download Ubuntu PowerPC.
    I used the LiveCD but the alternate install should work fine to.
    Burn it to a CD and boot your iBook from it.(Press C after you hear the startup chime.
    Press TAB key.
    Type in
    Code:
    live-nosplash-powerpc
    (or something similar to that. should be on the second line all the way to the left.)
    Be patient, it takes a while.
    Don't do anything until you are on the Ubuntu Desktop.
    If your screen is in the top, left corner and there's two of the same thing, don't panic.
    To fix the screen you can either do it while still running the LiveCD(what I did) or wait until you have installed it to your HD.
    The instructions below in the Screen Resolution section works for both methods.
    Make sure you can hear sound (should hear drums when entering desktop)
    On the top bar, press the little button that looks like a cell-phone signal.
    Connect to a network to test if WiFi is working.
    If everything is working fine, install Ubuntu.
    There is an option for Macintosh keyboards.
    I used the whole disk since it's only 10gb but those of you who replaced the HD can set up a separate partition.
    Go through with the install.
    Reboot.
    Getting everything to work
    Screen Resolution
    If your screen is small and in the top, left corner of the screen with the exact same thing under it, follow the instructions below.
    Run the following command in the terminal. It will shut down X Windows.
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    Once it is closed type in the following codes:
    If the method doesn't work for you the first time, redo it but this time enter the following code
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    and go through it.
    Now enter the code below
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Then, edit it to match this:
    Code:
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "ATI Rage 128"
    Driver "r128"
    BusID "PCI:0:16:0"
    Option "UseFBDev" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    HorizSync 60-60
    VertRefresh 43-117
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    DefaultDepth 16
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection
    The method above was posted on this thread by chriz74.
    To start X Windows again, enter
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    Now you should have the desktop in 1024x768!
    To be continued....when i have time...
    Dear Mellflores1,

I would be grateful if you could let me know the instructions and code of your working keyboard backlight. It's very confusing to me what they've written in other places. I've tried it before on 8.04 and 8.10 and it didn't work out.

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by anandrajny View Post
    Dear Mellflores1,

Thanks in advance.
    The iBook G3 doesn't have a keyboard backlight.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast