Thread: Resolution Problems & HDMI

Beans

Resolution Problems & HDMI

I was frustrated with trying to reinstall Vista, and I decided if I could get a linux distro to run without too much trouble I'd go with it instead.. surprise surprise, despite having the dreaded (I'm told) Atheros wireless, the install went flawlessly, and I'm using the system now.

However..

The HDMI out doesn't seem to work. The laptop DOES react to the HDMI out being plugged in; if I start the computer with the HDMI out plugged in, it reverts from the normal 1366 x 768 resolution to something in the 680 range. I've restarted it a few times to confirm that is the problem, and it is.

I'd like to be able to use the HDMI out to display everything on a larger screen when I'm at home, but more importantly I'd like to be able to change the display resolution. Currently, if I hit preferences-resolution I'm not able to change it, whether or not it's right. I wouldn't mind it being wrong sometimes if I could correct it without a restart, and of course on a larger, external screen I'll want to use a higher res.

As an additional problem, though I am not sure this is the right forum for it, and it's fairly minor.. whenever the laptop starts up, it tries to connect to all the local, passworded wireless networks before going for mine. I have to cancel through the dialog options,, and then it connects to mine without being asked. Can I get it not to connect to specified networks?

I did try fn+f8 to switch to the HDMI out, and that didn't work. It could be working, and in my ignorance I don't know how to switch it on..

My system: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834147920

HP G60-230US NoteBook Intel Pentium dual-core T4200(2.00GHz) 16" 3GB Memory 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi Intel GMA 4500M

ubuntu 8.1. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm happy to post more about my system, if necessary.

Beans

Re: Resolution Problems & HDMI

I'm quite happy with the Ubuntu installation, but I'm not going to be able to keep it if I can't get everything working. Should I give up on this? I'll have to buy a manufacturer restore CD, since the Vista clean install I have wouldn't work, and the restore partition is gone.

Beans

I have just loaded Ubuntu 9.04 "live" on the HP G60-230US. I confirm that I also cannot get the hdmi output to work. I also tried the fn+f8. I am thinking that maybe it is an HDCP type of problem, i.e. the hdmi will only work with HDCP drivers???

Also, it seems that the button to "disable" the touchpad also not work. If someone else can confirm about the touchpad that would be helpful.

Wireless, the webcam, display resolution, touchpad (except disable), audio output - all seem to work.

Any ideas to try regarding the hdmi or touchpad disable would be appreciate as well as any other tests you want me to try.

Beans

As far as the HDMI I got the same problem. Whhenever I have it plugged in on boot up it's won't show up on any screen and I'll need to reboot without the hdmi plugged in. It's annoying to change display setting every time but oh well.

Check this out for more info on display settings. I hope someone can be more helpful.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1013209

As far as the touchpad ...bump ...if the laptop ain't reading it's either off/disabled and needs to be turn on or doesn't work OR not compatable start another thread for the touchpad.