Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Failed To Print Document, Too Many Failed Attempts"

Beans

"Failed To Print Document, Too Many Failed Attempts"

Ok, I get this error when printing a PDF from Document Viewer (Evince). It works fine if I print all pages but, if I only print certain pages, I get this error. I can eventually get it to print by retrying. It may take 1 or 100 retries but it will go eventually. I'm printing to an HP Laserjet 4000 with a Jet Direct Card via TCP/IP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    David

Beans

Re: "Failed To Print Document, Too Many Failed Attempts"

Two weeks ago I could print a PDF document (HP Color Laserjet 2600n). Now, since an update of CUPS I get the "Too many failed attempts" message. Any way of reversing the update and getting back the use of my printer?

Beans

I think now it might be an Evince problem - I can print from Gnome ePDFviewer (but with a poor-looking font and some spacing errors).

Beans

Cracked it! I removed Evince, rebooted and reinstalled Evince. Now printing (and smiling) again!

Beans

Spoke (and wrote) too soon. I printed out a complete PDF document with no problems, but when I tried to print another one I got the familiar "Too many failed attempts" report once again. Can't figure out why - the machine had not been turned off between these efforts, but somehow it reverted.

Beans

I have submitted a bug report on the issue, you are welcome to contribute to it:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....0/+bug/359975

Beans

I was having the same issue, the instructions on the following link worked:

http://brainextender.blogspot.com/20...ny-failed.html

I was able to print just one page from evince.

Beans

Didn't work for me - the lines mentioned in the conf file did not exist.

Beans

I have had very similar problems. I used to be able to print just fine, and then suddenly couldn't. I am still running 8.10.

Until very recently, I could print to most printers via CUPS, but had trouble with printing to a Windows printer via samba. I could print from OO and test pages, but nothing else. Now, I can't print at all. I keep downloading all the printing related updates, but they never help.

I never know whether my printing problems are because of me or my department's network settings!

The samba printer briefly worked when I first set it up, but then a day later I couldn't print anymore.

Beans

I have seen this on a totally different Linux system (Mandriva 2009). I haven't been able to figure out whether this is a printer driver, CUPS or USB problem. Pretty damn annoying.

My workaround is to turn the printer off and on, which forces a reset all the way up the protocol stack.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast