Thread: simple character count script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

simple character count script

I want to do a faroese DVORAK keyboard layout, I cant find any list that tells me witch characters are most used, so is there a way of doing a bash script, that can take large amounts of text and count the instances of each letter, and maybe sort them by frequency "not case sensitive"? bear in mind that Faroese contains special letters like , , , , and
    Last edited by jakupl; March 30th, 2009 at 11:24 PM.
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick | ASUS A6Rp | Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU 420 @ 1.60GHz | 4 GB ram |
    Graphic Card: ATI Technologies inc RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200M]

Beans
    Distro

Re: simple character count script

bump
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick | ASUS A6Rp | Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU 420 @ 1.60GHz | 4 GB ram |

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jakupl View Post
    I want to do a faroese DVORAK keyboard layout, I cant find any list that tells me witch characters are most used, so is there a way of doing a bash script, that can take large amounts of text and count the instances of each letter, and maybe sort them by frequency "not case sensitive"? bear in mind that Faroese contains special letters like , , , , and
    I would do it in C or Perl. Does it have to be a shell script?

Maybe this old thread will help: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=957610

Beans

there are many of such scripts lying around in the internet. just have to a search on them.
    Code:
    awk 'BEGIN{FS=""}{for(i=1;i<NF;i++)a[$i]++}END{for(o in a) {print a[o],o}}' file

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ghostdog74 View Post
    there are many of such scripts lying around in the internet. just have to a search on them.
    Code:
    awk 'BEGIN{FS=""}{for(i=1;i<NF;i++)a[$i]++}END{for(o in a) {print a[o],o}}' file

I tried to search, but I didn't find anything. Thanks, I will try this when I get home

Beans
    Distro

This works great. Now I am going to figure out how to get percentages, make it count these letters: , , , , and , I also would like the output arranged in order of what is used the most. And exclude "space", "enter" and "tab", and all the strange letters that are shown as a question mark.