Thread: System hang at --> CRC Error - System Halted

Beans

[SOLVED] System hang at --> CRC Error - System Halted

Hello

I was using Kubuntu Desktop 8.10 doing Remote Desktop viewing my Ubuntu Server 8.10 (with Ubuntu Desktop GUI), right after i closed the connection at Kubuntu, the ubuntu pop up a message "blah blah Crashed", and i ended up hard reset the system. After this, system hangs at " CRC Error - System Halted" everytime when i try to boot into desktop.

At first i thought it was desktop corrupted, so i pressed "ESC" the Grub there and select "Recovery Mode", but the system still hangs at "CRC Error". So i was thinking it was the time to reinstall and when i tried to run "Kubuntu Desktop 8.10 without installing" option at system boot up, suprisingly it is still "CRC Error - System Halted".

What's wrong with it?? What should i do? Is it possible fix it without reinstall the system, because i have configured it as a Web server and FTP server, and this took me for 2 weeks for figured out how to configure them.

Best regards,
    Grey08
    Last edited by Grey08; March 29th, 2009 at 12:06 PM.

Beans

Re: System hang at --> CRC Error - System Halted

Ok, I have solved the problem.

After Googled with CRC Error, i learned that, It is not only Hard disk would cause this problem, the other possibilities are:
    1.Overheating problem
    2.BAD RAM
    3.HDD cable is losen (slightly losen would cause that too)
    4.BAD HDD
    5.Improper shutdown

I have run memtest86 and it has nothing error, and when i opened my case i found that my RAM wasn't plugged in tight, so i guess this is the problem.

Beans

for me my ram is loose

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grey08 View Post
    Ok, I have solved the problem.

After Googled with CRC Error, i learned that, It is not only Hard disk would cause this problem, the other possibilities are:
    1.Overheating problem
    2.BAD RAM
    3.HDD cable is losen (slightly losen would cause that too)
    4.BAD HDD
    5.Improper shutdown

I have run memtest86 and it has nothing error, and when i opened my case i found that my RAM wasn't plugged in tight, so i guess this is the problem.
    from experience i can tell you that the hdd is much more probable than the ram
    to check the ram you can use memtest from just every linux livecd, i would recommend to let it make at least two passes...
    for the hdd side, you could take a look on the manufacture's web site and see if there are any check tools listed there
    hope this helps...