Thread: Building new computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Building new computer

ok guys, this is the situation. I am about to build a new computer for one of my customers. The motherboard I am currently looking at, mainly for the low price range. Is a BIOSTAR Combo 6P2. AM2 processor I believe. I was trying to find a compatability listing on this motherboard and chipset, but can not. The only thing I can find is a post that was discontinued several months ago, possibly even longer than that, stating that he installed ubuntu 7.10 on a computer with this motherboard. Leads me to believe this particular motherboard type has been out for a little while. and should be compatable with 8.10, and possibly deffinatly 9.04. Does any one know how compatable this motherboard is with Ubuntu 8.10?

Should I even attempt to use this motherboard, or find something else?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Building new computer

'Cheap' motherboards end up costing you more in time and hassles, in my experience. Get a Gigabyte or Asus. Both tend to work very well with any flavour of Ubuntu.

...insert inane witticism here...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Well, if you're experimenting, it's certainly better to spend $80 on a "cheap" motherboard and learn that Ubuntu won't run well on it than to spend $400 on a state-of-the-art motherboard -- and learn that Ubuntu won't run on it.

Actually, I would be surprised if Ubuntu won't run at all. What's more likely to be the case is that more advanced features, like sleep or hibernation, might not work due to lack of acpi drivers. Then, there will be the question of drivers for the add-on hardware -- but that will be true regardless of the board you buy.

So, the only way to REALLY tell if Ubuntu will work will be to build the system and use a LiveCD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

true, really the only things I would need ubuntu to be compatable with is the Video card that is built in, and the sound card. I was getting a cheep motherboard, because in her own words, she will be surfing the net, and sending resumes to companies. So hevy gaming, and other things she would not be doing.

As far as I can tell, from the information I get from the motherboard specs, The Video card is compatable with Ubuntu, being NVIDIA.
    sound is also through them.

Do you have any information about PCChips motherboards, I looked online, and found that it would seem to be compatable with ubuntu.