Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux style?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Linux style?

Hey guys, I keep hearing people complaining how "linux isnt windows" and "linux isnt OSX" (when talking about the style of the OS)... so this brings me to the question, What do you say the "linux style" is?
    Does linux have its own "style"?
    If not, why dont we make one? lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Linux style?

Linux doesn't have a specific style- the gui is so customizable that you can make linux look like pretty much anything you want. Check out the screenshot thread for an idea of what I'm talking about!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I would say the Linux style is a blank canvas. Linux is what the user wants, meaning the user can make it what ever he or she likes. This is what makes Linux, Linux. It is not bound by one groups idea of what it should be. Instead people are free to customize, change, reprogram, and rebuild it to there needs, when ever they want.
    Code:
    Dell D810          | Asus P5E
    Pentium M 2.26GHz  | E8200 2.66 OC @ 3.2GHz 
    1GB Ram            | 4GB Ram OC @ 4-4-4-12
    ATI X600 Mobility  | EVGA 9600GT SSC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I see it simply as an operating system that's just like the other two mentioned. Yes, there's a difference in the way they're structured but the big difference is that you own your copy of Linux while the other two can only be leased. It's much like any product really. If you own you're own home you can build/alter it to suit your needs and customize it to your liking. If you rent or lease you can't make any alterations without the owners permission and repairs are made at the landlord's discretion and convenience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I get what you guys are saying... but if all this "blank canvas" stuff is true, why do linux users (Not everyone, but some) get mad when we copy off mac, or windows. (Im a cross platform, so idc which one im using, if that helps)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Welcome to the recurring discussions.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jwh400 View Post
    If you own you're own home you can build/alter it to suit your needs and customize it to your liking. If you rent or lease you can't make any alterations without the owners permission and repairs are made at the landlord's discretion and convenience.
    Best explanation ever.

However although I would have to agree with most of the above. I do think Linux definitely has a style, two actually. The default Gnome and KDE setups. A vast number of people that are exposed to Linux start with these default set ups and that becomes the feel or style. The most basic being a 'windows' type desktop with some 'crazy' start menu type thing and this 'new' thing in the corner with 2-4 grey boxes.

In my profession we don't have many linux users mostly all windows. However we are required to use programs on 'specialty' systems that use Unix, or if you get to play with the really cool equipment then you will use Red Hat or sometimes Suse. To a lot of the guys Linux just feel like a more modernized Unix environment. However very few of them get past the whole memorize what I'm supposed to type, click, or do here user type.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ok, I would agree that gnome and KDE are somewhat of "styles" with a bunch of user made "sub-styles". I really didnt know where I was going with this thread, just... bored (and was looking at "mac-like linux distros" and all the comments from angry linux users )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by claymater View Post
    I get what you guys are saying... but if all this "blank canvas" stuff is true, why do linux users (Not everyone, but some) get mad when we copy off mac, or windows. (Im a cross platform, so idc which one im using, if that helps)
    People get mad about all kinds of nutty things.

It's worth pointing out, that while "Linux" doesn't have a distinct style, Ubuntu does. Other distros have their own style and approach to things. That's an important distinction.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    People get mad about all kinds of nutty things.

It's worth pointing out, that while "Linux" doesn't have a distinct style, Ubuntu does. Other distros have their own style and approach to things. That's an important distinction.
    Haha, good answer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast