Thread: Can't mount volume anymore

Beans

Can't mount volume anymore

I specified /media/disk/ as mounting point for one of my hard disk (through 'properties', 'volume' tab, I believe)

Now I can't mount it anymore, It says "mount point cannot contain the following characters: newline, G_DIR_SEPARATOR (usually /)"

How can I modify the volume mounting point now?

Thanks,

-Presi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Can't mount volume anymore

First of all, I believe "/media/disk" is a built-in mountpoint that Gnome tries to use, so I would change that to something else to leave that available to the system.

When setting it, I believe I ran into the same issue as you - I want to say that in the properties it's actually just wanting the last part of the mountpoint. For instance if you want to mount to /media/harddrive, you would enter just "harddrive". It's not very obvious/intuitive

What kind of device is this? If it's an internal hard drive or (semi-)permanent external hard drive, I would probably add it to /etc/fstab (using the UUID) rather than letting HAL try to manage it.

If it's a removable drive like flash memory, then, there should be a way to fix it, but I honestly can't remember what I did when I ran into that problem Hopefully someone else can answer that...

// Edit - I just did a quick search and found this blog post...see if that helps...

http://howtoxyz.blogspot.com/2008/07...t-contain.html
    Last edited by kanikilu; March 27th, 2009 at 04:54 PM.

Beans

Re: Can't mount volume anymore

Thanks Kanikilu,

I followed the instructions from the link and it solved the problem!

Thanks again,

-prsi