Thread: Sharing a HFS+ volume from my Ubuntu Server to my MacBook Pro via NFS.

Beans

Unhappy Sharing a HFS+ volume from my Ubuntu Server to my MacBook Pro via NFS.

Hi guys!
    This is my first post here at the Ubuntu Forums. I'm totally new to ubuntu and unix, as I have just set up my first ubuntu server here at home. So if you'll help me step by step on everything, I'll be very thankful

My server runs with the IP 192.168.2.200 which is outside the routers DHCP range. I have connected to the server via SaMBa from my MacBook Pro as I had a friend help me configure it. Now, SaMBa works okay I guess, but it is a bit slow. So I have decided to change protocols to the NFS.

I have a WD My Passport Studio HFS+ drive mounted to the server with full read/write accsess from all users(I think).
    Anyways, here's the /etc/fstab

Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
    # /dev/sda1
    UUID=c1ac2ef9-f236-4daf-bb4e-1def6abe7c1d /               ext3    relatime,erro$
    # /dev/sda5
    UUID=b42d1faf-4615-482b-9d14-55410a87b4e3 none            swap    sw           $
    /dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
    /dev/sdb         /mnt/usbdisk    hfsplus           rw,noauto,users,exec,noatime,umask=000 0 0
    This works pretty well, and I can write to the disc(/mnt/usbdisk) both from my server and through SaMBa.

When installing NFS I have used this guide:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...&highlight=nfs
    in addition to some other forum posts.

My portmap has not been binded as the guid says.
    Now... The /etc/exports looks like this on my server now. (I have tried a variety of versions that doesn't work.)
    Code:
    /mnt/usbdisk 192.168.2.1/24(rw,sync,no_subtree_check,insecure)
    However, afterwards when i run the following, the following happens:
    Code:
    mats@irontown:~$ sudo exportfs -a
    exportfs: Warning: /mnt/usbdisk does not support NFS export.
    How do I fix this?

In addition, I've heard talk abou my userID's having to be equal on my Mac and my server. On My Mac it looks like this:
    Code:
    uid=501(matsolsen) gid=20(staff) groups=20(staff),98(_lpadmin),81(_appserveradm),
    79(_appserverusr),80(admin),101(com.apple.sharepoint.group.1)
    and on my ubuntu server it's like this:
    Code:
    uid=1000(mats) gid=1000(mats) groups=4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),46(plugdev),
    112(lpadmin),113(sambashare),114(admin),1000(mats)
    In the /etc/exports it's possible to add userids like anonid and anongid.. But I don't know if this should be done..

Can anyone please,please give me a hand.
    I have been struggeling with this for days.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Sharing a HFS+ volume from my Ubuntu Server to my MacBook Pro via NFS.

I was looking through google and it appears that the most simple solution is to avoid NFS with HFS+ and use Samba.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba

Beans

I have Samba working. But I want NFS because of the speed. Mounting the HFS+ was no trouble at all. It works fine. But as you see, I am having trouble exporting it through NFS. Any words on this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Doing a little more research, I found that HFS+ needs to be compiled into the kernel to be exported via nfs-kernel-server. The other option is to export it via nfs-user-server. It is not as efficient as the nfs-kernel-server because it is in user space but at least you should be able to export your HFS+ partition without having to recompile your kernel.

Hope that helps.