Thread: Hang ups

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hang ups

Okay folks I've been trying for about a year now to get Ubuntu acknowledged as an operating system on campus and so far it's been mixed. Several others consider it a great system... and, then comes questions about command prompts... and, how smart you have to be to run it. After explanations and everything else was told Andover's only going to run Windows due to a contract... (Damn) and just wondering how to even advertise it because know one seems to give a damn about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Hang ups

I tend to just leave discs in locations where you might find people. I left some at the local library and had some contacts from it. People seem to have a hard time grasping a free operating system that works.

B
    Ubuntu Maine-iacs LoCo Team -
    | MaineTeam Wiki | Launchpad Entry | irc.freenode.net #ubuntu-maine /SIZE]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Same here that's what I'm thinking of doing leaving some of my own burned disks but not the one from Ubuntu. People consider a free operating system to be easily exploited by hackers and hacks. On the opposite end the hacks for Ubuntu simply make it easier to run. Wonder when people will finally understand that free is just another word for enjoyable OS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A lot of people are resistant to change. All we can do is continue to spread the knowlege and mission of GNU/Linux but more specifically, Ubuntu. Try to seek open-minded individuals.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Something mentioned to me in the midst of a discussion with my economics professor was the relation of product value to product price. People see the price of windows and complain about how much it costs, but it also has purposed value because of the price.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jago6060 View Post
    Something mentioned to me in the midst of a discussion with my economics professor was the relation of product value to product price. People see the price of windows and complain about how much it costs, but it also has purposed value because of the price.
    You can tell your economics professor about how monopolies distort prices and how privative software makes people to buy golden jails and forces them to stay there into.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pacovila View Post
    You can tell your economics professor about how monopolies distort prices and how privative software makes people to buy golden jails and forces them to stay there into.
    I agree with you. I've always said that Windows is just for people who don't know any better, which is true. In most cases, if you mention Linux to people, they either say "What?" or "Isn't that for tech people". As far as my professor's statement, he's 100% right. It's natural for us to believe that if we pay more, we get something better. That's just the way we've been trained.

Beans

Smile Re: Hang ups

See what you mean though by pricing but in economics also there are hundreds of lies. When people stop listening to common sense and start buying an overpriced operating system they forget how to be creative. In my High School class for computers my teacher always made the suggestion for us to think outside the box and since I have done some small laptop and even an old iMac 500 (mine) the cost for both systems makes them to high a cost. My mathematics professor advised us that Windows is not always the way of the future after sparking debate over which is better. In fact several people switched and have gone to Dell after seeing the quickness of a few laptop's which I worked on to have it installed over Windows. People used to get scared and say free does not always run better but right now with Mac OS X and Windows Vista trying to battle each other out on the open market it is great to see my friends switch over.

Left CD's and people gobbled them up and that is how it started. Although the college is under contract with Windows I learned any mention of it can make those talks get harder. Here is the thing though if Windows kept it restrictive for so long as did Mac then why is Linux suddenly exploding without any holding back? I did trade my laptop though so no more live displays (screen froze and cracked) and since then have gone to using my iMac and now it is great seeing former diehard Windows users getting a breath of fresh air into their systems. Without having any disputes with on board RAM, Draft-n technologies, and various others. This iMac I am using had no Operating System and it cost to much now compare the speeds that I reach to Windows and then watch as a Vista computers moves slowly even with 2 gig of RAM, 250 gig HD, and a 3dfx gaming card doing basic functions. The games look nice such as Sims 3 but does it really run that well? My fiancee uses Windows and her's is a Dell which does well running Vista while my old Acer suffered from it. No Draft-n in PCMCIA SLOT, no 2 gig Ram, and a 250 gig HD created confusion XP and Ubuntu 8.10 ran it great before the screen broke. Its just amazing to have the same speed and function from an old iMac from the early 2000's; somehow my fiancees ran it nicer then mine did... with the same CPU and processor speed. Sorry, for the long rant but it felt good to transform long time Windows users and Mac users! Even got my fiancee running FireFox which is a victory for me.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JoeZiehmerMacMan View Post
    See what you mean though by pricing but in economics also there are hundreds of lies. When people stop listening to common sense and start buying an overpriced operating system they forget how to be creative. In my High School class for computers my teacher always made the suggestion for us to think outside the box and since I have done some small laptop and even an old iMac 500 (mine) the cost for both systems makes them to high a cost. My mathematics professor advised us that Windows is not always the way of the future after sparking debate over which is better. In fact several people switched and have gone to Dell after seeing the quickness of a few laptop's which I worked on to have it installed over Windows. People used to get scared and say free does not always run better but right now with Mac OS X and Windows Vista trying to battle each other out on the open market it is great to see my friends switch over.

Left CD's and people gobbled them up and that is how it started. Although the college is under contract with Windows I learned any mention of it can make those talks get harder. Here is the thing though if Windows kept it restrictive for so long as did Mac then why is Linux suddenly exploding without any holding back? I did trade my laptop though so no more live displays (screen froze and cracked) and since then have gone to using my iMac and now it is great seeing former diehard Windows users getting a breath of fresh air into their systems. Without having any disputes with on board RAM, Draft-n technologies, and various others. This iMac I am using had no Operating System and it cost to much now compare the speeds that I reach to Windows and then watch as a Vista computers moves slowly even with 2 gig of RAM, 250 gig HD, and a 3dfx gaming card doing basic functions. The games look nice such as Sims 3 but does it really run that well? My fiancee uses Windows and her's is a Dell which does well running Vista while my old Acer suffered from it. No Draft-n in PCMCIA SLOT, no 2 gig Ram, and a 250 gig HD created confusion XP and Ubuntu 8.10 ran it great before the screen broke. Its just amazing to have the same speed and function from an old iMac from the early 2000's; somehow my fiancees ran it nicer then mine did... with the same CPU and processor speed. Sorry, for the long rant but it felt good to transform long time Windows users and Mac users! Even got my fiancee running FireFox which is a victory for me.
    Wow there's so many things that need to be addressed in that rant...but I don't have the time to do it...In short, this is incorrect in more than one way.
    See what you mean though by pricing but in economics also there are hundreds of lies. When people stop listening to common sense and start buying an overpriced operating system they forget how to be creative.
    And your comparison of computers leaves a bunch of details out that could be determining factors in the speed of each.