Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Same screen name and password, two seperate accounts. Please help

Beans

Same screen name and password, two seperate accounts. Please help

Hi all,

I'm totally frustrated with Ubuntu. Please try to help me with a couple of problems:

1. It seems that I have two (2) accounts under the same screen name on my computer. When I restart my computer, it asks me my screen name and password as usual. Using the SAME screen name and password I will be randomly sent to one of two accounts, each with different bookmarks, settings, screen saver, desktop photo and desktop icons.

How can I get this to go to the SAME place each time?

2. If I don't shut off the power button on the back of the computer, it will turn itself ON when I am not here.

How can I get it to only turn on when I press the ON button on the front of the computer.

This is just the start of a long list of problems with Ubuntu. Please help. You can email me a reply at: Saltwaterfishin@aol.com

Jay

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Same screen name and password, two seperate accounts. Please help

Quote Originally Posted by Saltwaterfishin View Post
    Hi all,

I'm totally frustrated with Ubuntu. Please try to help me with a couple of problems:

1. It seems that I have two (2) accounts under the same screen name on my computer. When I restart my computer, it asks me my screen name and password as usual. Using the SAME screen name and password I will be randomly sent to one of two accounts, each with different bookmarks, settings, screen saver, desktop photo and desktop icons.

How can I get this to go to the SAME place each time?

2. If I don't shut off the power button on the back of the computer, it will turn itself ON when I am not here.

How can I get it to only turn on when I press the ON button on the front of the computer.

This is just the start of a long list of problems with Ubuntu. Please help. You can email me a reply at: Saltwaterfishin@aol.com

Jay
    1) It sounds as if you are having trouble with the X Window System crashing. Can you please provide specs for your computer. I think what is happening is that you log in, when X starts correctly, you get your typical custom desktop. If X fails, you will get default icons, backgrounds, etc. I assure you, you do not have two accounts with the same name and password.

2) You computer is definitely not turning itself on. This sounds like a problem with the BIOS. I've seen a number of old machines that reboot every time instead of shutting down (sometimes with a delay). Again, machine specs would be helpful.
    Registered Linux User: 482377
    MacBook (1,1) - OS X Leopard
    ASUS P5LD2 - Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz - 2GB Corsair RAM - Nvidia 8800GT - Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 Professional

Beans

Code:
    cat /etc/passwd | grep home
    is an easy way to get a list of non-daemon users on your system (yes, yes, it makes some assumptions about having a home directory, and having it in /home).

You probably don't want your email listed here, although the 3 hours it's been up have probably gotten it on quite a few spam lists already. We can email you through the forums.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans

Hi all,

Here is a screen shot for the accounts. Is this helpful in solving the problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Well, it appears that you only have one user account (jay). The first three are daemons that, for some reason, need home directories in /home.

Have you installed another desktop environment, such as KDE or XFCE? More to the point, do the different logins look and act the same, other than desktop etc.?
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans

Hi XIONG,

Thanks for sticking with me. Each login screen or account is different and they are random. I don't know how to force the computer to login to the one I WANT to use For example, the settings that I set on the one I WANT to use only work for that account. Settings in RHYTHMBOX music player only work for that account. The background on the one I want to use is a photo of me fishing. The other account is totally different. It has the background of UBUNTU. All settings are different than what I want. (The computer logged me in to the "bad" account today.

When my brother gave me this computer he mentioned something about dual hard drives. Could this be causing the problem? Do you know anything about the "X Window Crashing" as mentioned by another person in this forum?

Thanks again,

Jay

Beans

I just shut down and restarted and now I'm on my Prefered account. I just don't know how to login to this one every time.

Beans

I suspect this is some kind of problem mounting the home directory, and at random it is failing to mount at boot and giving you a default configuration.

can you post a comparison of the "mount" command when you have your correct desktop and the incorrect one? Also, the output of "sudo fdisk -l" would be helpful.

Is your install on two seperate hard drives?

EDIT: also, do you have a phone or mp3 player that you plug in to the computer? I've experienced this problem on my laptop when my Blackberry was plugged in; for some reason, it wouldn't mount the /home partition and I'd get defaulted.

Beans

Thank you for the advice. Here is a screen shot of the "mount" command for the account I WANT to use.

As far as the separate hard drives, when my brother gave me the computer he mentioned something about the computer having 2 hard drives
    Last edited by Saltwaterfishin; March 26th, 2009 at 01:15 AM. Reason: more info

Beans

Here is the result of sudo fdisk -l :

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast