Thread: ath_pci/ath5k freezing on load

Beans

ath_pci/ath5k freezing on load

So I'm completely unable to load either ath_pci or ath5k. Both freeze up my computer immediately on doing modprobe -v <module>. The only way for me to even boot my computer is to edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and add an entry for ath_pci.

The issue occurs on both x86 and x86_64 versions of 8.10. I haven't tried previous versions yet, I'll be giving that a shot tomorrow but wanted to get this thread out there in case anyone had idea/tips.

I have compiled/installed from source for each of those modules.

Any tips on where to start? No error messages are available at all since this is a hard freeze which is a bit annoying.

I should note that 8.10 works fine on my laptop (T41) which has an Atheros chipset in it for wifi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Beans

Re: ath_pci/ath5k freezing on load

Wifi Chipset:

Atheros AR5001X+

Onboard Chipset:

Intel G965

Trying a rollback to 8.04 x86_64 to see if it's an issue only in the latest version.

Beans

Rollback to 8.04 did not fix the issue. It must be specific to my hardware or a combination of hardware since 8.10 works fine on my laptop which is also using an Atheros chipset.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I have similar issues with ar5212 on hardy. Had to blacklist ath_pci to be able to boot with the PCI card inserted. Then, I installed linux-backports-modules-hardy and got ath5k, but now it freezes again (after loading ath5k_pci).

Beans

I think this is the same problem that I'm having.
    I'm running Jaunty 64bit, ASUS P5Q mobo, Q8400.
    lspci:
    Code:
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Atheros AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
    Any luck?