Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Block Ads And Spyware In Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: How To Block Ads And Spyware In Linux

changing 127.0.0.1 to 0.0.0.0 in the hosts file does little to stop Opera from freezing up trying to download the ads to the detriment of all other surfing in the browser, it won't even continue loading the page. Firefox seems to work alright though.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

I've got to add my little comment here....

1) You can do this same trick on Windows, in fact it's a lot better on Windows because that's where you have to worry about the spyware/malware crap. The file is in the same format and is located in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

2) This really isn't required in linux, a lot of times the pop-ups will still pop up (if there is one in the first place Firefox isusually really good at blocking most of those.

3) Adblock is better, because as someone else had said, hey want to change the screen that is shown because if you're reading some article that links to ads, you're going to have a weird text box there. With Adblock it removes the whole box from the page, making it a lot easier to read the article

Leech
    Wah! Wah! Life was more entertaining when I had 64KB of RAM in my computer.
    Neverwinter Nights Platinum HowTo

Beans

Sorry to drag this thread back up, but here is a good pre-compiled hosts file with thousands of sources blocked. Just copy and paste.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I get my hosts file from this site. For those dual-booting, the Windows installer is quite handy

Forgot this tid-bit, instead of just putting the linked hosts file in your /etc directory, you'll need to open your existing and copy the existing information into the new hosts file, or the other way around. If you just do a straight copy, you may end up with some issues like, sudo not working.
    Last edited by FiggyG; January 20th, 2006 at 06:31 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FiggyG
    I get my hosts file from this site. For those dual-booting, the Windows installer is quite handy

Forgot this tid-bit, instead of just putting the linked hosts file in your /etc directory, you'll need to open your existing and copy the existing information into the new hosts file, or the other way around. If you just do a straight copy, you may end up with some issues like, sudo not working.
    I emailed 'Mike' about his instructions.

Hopefully he will edit that page to give the correct instructions for appending to the /etc/hosts file rather than 'saving this file to our /etc directory'.

Beans

Re: How to block internet advertisements, banners and spyware in Linux

Quote Originally Posted by anil_robo

Save the hosts file, close it, and reboot your computer.
    You don't need to reboot. just do
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking restart
    And it should work.

EDIT:

Also, since I have Apache installed on my localhost, it displays whatever page I have running there. On my laptop I just created a page that says "Blocked!". This should fix the problem of sites slowing down (since localhost will open instantly) but I'd agree that installing Apache for it is a bit overkill.
    Last edited by Heliode; January 20th, 2006 at 11:43 AM.
    "Windows is something to overcome"

Howto's by me:
    Tweak firefox! (URL now works..)
    Backup/Restore your system!
    Avoid having to reboot

Compentux.org
    , the Linux Tip & Howto gathering initiative!

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Heliode
    You don't need to reboot. just do
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking restart
    And it should work.
    You shouldn't even have to do that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by househead
    You shouldn't even have to do that.
    You might be right with that... I noticed on another machine that restarting FF was enough.

When will people learn that rebooting a machine to apply something is a Windows CrazyThing(tm)
    (See the howto)
    "Windows is something to overcome"

Howto's by me:
    Tweak firefox! (URL now works..)
    Backup/Restore your system!
    Avoid having to reboot

Compentux.org
    , the Linux Tip & Howto gathering initiative!

Beans

In most cases hitting localhost (127.0.0.1 ) in the hosts file is going to slow you down as it waits for things to load until the timeout time is hit. Using 0.0.0.0 as others have said should aleviate this (as it should immediately fail).

All of the hosts files people have posted are using 127.0.0.1 so this is probably why you're seeing a slow browsing experience.

Personally, mucking with the hosts file is more trouble than it's worth for me, but I think that those complaining of slow browsing could fix it by making this change.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Casey
    In most cases hitting localhost (127.0.0.1 ) in the hosts file is going to slow you down as it waits for things to load until the timeout time is hit. Using 0.0.0.0 as others have said should aleviate this (as it should immediately fail).
    Opening the downloaded hosts file and doing a Replace 127.0.0.1 with 0.0.0.0 was very easy in Kwrite. I'll let ya know if it's any faster

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast