Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virus Issue

Beans

Lightbulb Virus Issue

I have windows xp on my harddisk but due to plenty of virus it is not working properly (too slow) thus I tried to install ant i virus but it is not getting installed on by HDD.

I even can't format the pc as data will get lost.

Thus I am thinking to scan my pc by by inserting live cd of ubuntu and scan my pc by using anti virus software via ubuntu , can any body help me , how shall i do it ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Virus Issue

Your best bet, IMO, is to either use a recovery CD or seek professional help.

You are most likely looking at wiping the HD, reinstalling Windows, and restoring known good data. If you do not know the exact virus causing problems and you do not have a known good back up it will be hard to solve this problem.

Most Linux antivirus will simply delete any suspect file and , IMO, Linux antivirus is very prone to false positive.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I hope you are comfortable using a terminal, as these instruction depend on using it.

1. Go to Sytem-->Administration-->Synaptic Package Manager and search for clamav, and install it.
    2. Mount your hard drive, open an Applications-->Accessories-->Terminal and type:

Code:
      sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    3. In the same terminal change directory to /mnt:

Code:
      cd /mnt
    4. Update clamav:

Code:
      sudo freshclam
    5. Create a directory to move the infected files to:

Code:
      sudo mkdir /infected
    6. scan your windows hard drive:

Code:
      sudo clamscan -r --move=/infected

This scan will take a while, so you can use the LiveCD to surf the internet while you are waiting.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by sagar_p_parakh View Post
    I have windows xp on my harddisk but due to plenty of virus it is not working properly (too slow) thus I tried to install ant i virus but it is not getting installed on by HDD.

I even can't format the pc as data will get lost.

Thus I am thinking to scan my pc by by inserting live cd of ubuntu and scan my pc by using anti virus software via ubuntu , can any body help me , how shall i do it ?
    Once you are infected you can never really be sure a virus is gone. You can use a live cd to mount your hard drive and back up your data. Once you have the important stuff backed up I suggest wiping the hard drive. It's the only way to be sure.
    I would rather die of thirst than drink from the cup of mediocrity.

Get better forum search results!

Beans

I've had reasonable success scanning windows infected drives with the linux version of AVG (popular windows antivirus)

Install the deb from here and just choose the drive to scan

http://free.avg.com/download?prd=afl

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bakon Jarser View Post
    Once you are infected you can never really be sure a virus is gone. You can use a live cd to mount your hard drive and back up your data. Once you have the important stuff backed up I suggest wiping the hard drive. It's the only way to be sure.
    I would have to agree. If you don't know the virus and can hardly use the computer, it would be best to use the livecd to backup what you need, reformat and reinstall. If you are completely against that right now, I would boot up using an antivirus CD (most are bootable, yours may not be). You could also remove the drive and plug it into another computer and scan from there.
    "If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Albert Einstein.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Bakon Jarser View Post
    I am not a fan or proponent of windows, however, as a staff member, I feel we, as a community, should not provide misinformation on these forums, windows or otherwise.

I disagree with this statement. It depends on the virus, but most can be cleaned. It takes some expertise and there are plenty of fee for service "professionals" that can do this for you if it is beyond your technical knowledge of windows.

I would point out that I am no such expert on Windows and would not know how to do this if I could not find step-by-step directions on google.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+remove+virus
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have used this site before & it has good advice. It is not an easy process to clean your computer so allocate several hours. Good luck fixing it.

A clean install works too, but also takes a lot of time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    I am not a fan or proponent of windows, however, as a staff member, I feel we, as a community, should not provide misinformation on these forums, windows or otherwise.

I disagree with this statement. It depends on the virus, but most can be cleaned. It takes some expertise and there are plenty of fee for service "professionals" that can do this for you if it is beyond your technical knowledge of windows.
    Okay, then let me back up my statement. Here is a link to a site that does independent testing of av programs. Not a single one of them found 100% of the viruses. So I'll repeat, the only way to be sure is to do a clean install.
    I would rather die of thirst than drink from the cup of mediocrity.

Get better forum search results!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Just take the Ubuntu plunge! Screw Windows!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast