Thread: cannot boot into Ubuntu on Macbook 3,1

Beans

cannot boot into Ubuntu on Macbook 3,1

Here is my story: I install ubuntu 8.10 using the liveCD. During the installation I choose to use the whole HD--taking out OSX. Everything went smooth but when I restart it boot to a white screen and never boot to ubuntu. If I start the macbook with the LiveCD in and choose the option "Boot from Hard Disk first" I was able to go into Ubuntu. What am I doing wrong here?

Beans

Re: cannot boot into Ubuntu on Macbook 3,1

I tried this as well (replacing the entire disk with Ubuntu, that is). Not a good idea — you need something with which to install firmware updates and other useful items. Also, rEFIt is extremely useful. Keep an OS X partition, but make it as bare as possible. When you customize it during installation, deselect everything that can be deselected.

Not a good solution, and I plan to remove OS X completely once I figure out how to make booting work without it. So I sort of have the same problem as you.
    Last edited by Peasantoid; March 22nd, 2009 at 06:42 AM.
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. What does kill you makes you dead.
    Arch Linux for the pwn!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by mobiblu View Post
    Here is my story: I install ubuntu 8.10 using the liveCD. During the installation I choose to use the whole HD--taking out OSX. Everything went smooth but when I restart it boot to a white screen and never boot to ubuntu. If I start the macbook with the LiveCD in and choose the option "Boot from Hard Disk first" I was able to go into Ubuntu. What am I doing wrong here?
    You may be able to fix it with the linux version of refit from ubuntu -
    (withou needing Mac OSX)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install refit

sudo gptsync /dev/sda
    which will update the MBR on the hard disk (sda) if that was the problem.

Also see the intel mac faq sticky for reinstalling grub.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

you can also create a rEFIt CD to boot from and sync the partition tables with.