Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Really is Gnome/KDE/XFCE that hard to understand for Windows users?

Beans

Really is Gnome/KDE/XFCE that hard to understand for Windows users?

When you hear of people wanting Ubuntu and other linux distro's to look like windows dont you get as annoyed as I do?
    Dont you feel that Gnome/KDE/XFCE not that hard to get?
    There is a difference between wanting your interface to be familiar, and just downright wanting it to look exactly like another OS.
    I never had an issue with transition, for me Gnome/KDE/XFCE was just as easy as XP to get into.
    Gnomes 2 panel interface might be confusing for some granted but I never had an issue with it, I mean main menu on top and taskbar on the bottom... wow isnt that hard
    KDE3 is easy enough for a windows user I think, Menu is right there where the windows window would be.
    KDE4 also easy, I mean granted I am not a big fan of the kickoff menu but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out.
    XFCE, also easy to use. Granted XFCE can be a little rough for the new user but its not that hard.
    For me its harder to use OSX then Linux when concerning the layout and interface, I think linux's interfaces are actually easier in most respects then windows too.
    The windows menu is so disorganized to me, I cant even use it!
    Linux menu's put things into categories that are simple enough to understand...
    For me the transition wasnt that hard, how about you?
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Re: Really is Gnome/KDE/XFCE that hard to understand for Windows users?

KDE is a lot more user friendly and functional for people who came from Windows.

Most people, including myself, just can't get over the fact of how ugly Gnome is. It's like using an OS from 1998.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

i like gnome
    .i coi rodo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Onoskelis View Post
    KDE is a lot more user friendly and functional for people who came from Windows.

Most people, including myself, just can't get over the fact of how ugly Gnome is. It's like using an OS from 1998.
    It depends on how you set up Gnome, I mean yes I can understand that Gnome isnt that appealing for some but once you get it set up right it can look as good or better then most other OS's.
    Heck I think Ubuntu's default look is more appealing then XP's
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    It depends on how you set up Gnome, I mean yes I can understand that Gnome isnt that appealing for some but once you get it set up right it can look as good or better then most other OS's.
    Heck I think Ubuntu's default look is more appealing then XP's
    +1. But people think its hip to constantly let everyone know that they
    think ubuntu and or gnome is ugly.

Ubuntu's menu is 100x better than windows.
    In Windows most programs are categorized by company instead of what they actually do.Thats just ***.

Beans

The problem is not Linux, *BSD or any Unix like operating system. Or any of the desktops they include.

The problem is that most people do not want to unlearn Windows. People judge Linux from a Windows perspective.

Beans
    Hidden!

I find Gnome better looking than KDE3.
    KDE4 is another matter of course...

Most people? Interesting...
    Most people I know who switched from WinXP to Ubuntu and have tried both Gnome and KDE (3... not much experience with 4 yet) prefer Gnome because it's cleaner looking (HIG shows here).
    But that's just most people I know, not most people in general ;P

On topic: it depends.
    My mother for example get's irritated if I switch the order of the quick launchers on her PC... such a thing as moving the panel to another place or even two panels would be unacceptable. She runs Gnome with 1 bottom panel atm
    Then there's people who find their way easily through any desktop approach but want to demonstrate the power of a certain WM/DE... so they make Gnome look exactly like OSX or WinXP just for the fun of it.

I think those "make it look exactly like ..." efforts actually have merit, it's just not for everyone.
    GNU/Linux distro timeline
    Feel free to contribute!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Functional? Have you even used both? KDE maybe prettier but gnome holds the trophy for functionality. Both though would take a normal windows user some time to get used to. Heck after using one a while it takes a bit to get used to the other. (Unless you interchange on a daily bases).
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MasterNetra View Post
    Functional? Have you even used both? KDE maybe prettier but gnome holds the trophy for functionality. Both though would take a normal windows user some time to get used to. Heck after using one a while it takes a bit to get used to the other. (Unless you interchange on a daily bases).
    Functionality is, like looks, totally dependent on the individual.

Beans

That topic is amusing me...

Is all that you do with the computer? Studding the menus or playing with them?

If you don't like KDE/Gnome/Windows/OSX just use the desktop shortcuts for what you need. Problem solved.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast