Thread: GPL and commercial ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

GPL and commercial ?

Hi everyone

I am developing now a small project as a hobby, a Joomla 1.5 componeny (http://code.google.com/p/rpg-board-game/). I want to control menu display depending on user groups, and it Joomla does not support that natively. I turn then to get interested in JUGA and especially the module hidden by Juga.

Anyway my point is that these component, plugin and modules I want are GPLv2 and also commercial (dont want to pay). What does this mean ? I dont intend to make any commercial use of my project. Does GPLv2 means that I can get the source code for free if I ask for it ? Or even the module ? Does it mean also I will be able to offer my project to download including these component, plugin and module in ?

thanks

Beans

Re: GPL and commercial ?

The GPL only requires them to give the source code to those they have distributed the software to. If you have not received the software from them then they don't have to give you the source code if you ask for it.

The GPL does allow anyone who has received the source code by buying the software to redistribute it legally for free. So if they really are selling software under the GPL then it is legal to download it for free from other sources. And a project that uses the code can in turn be distributed freely just like any other GPL'd project.

There might be other legal issues besides copyright. For example a legal but unofficial version that a 3rd party offers for free may have to be rebranded to avoid being confused with the trademark of the official version. Just like Debian's version of Firefox is called Iceweasel to avoid confusion with Mozilla's official version.
    Last edited by Kvark; March 19th, 2009 at 07:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bastienauneau View Post
    Anyway my point is that these component, plugin and modules I want are GPLv2 and also commercial (dont want to pay). What does this mean ?
    I don't know -- point us to the components in question, any maybe we can tell you.

It could just mean that they're dual-licensed -- GPL for people who want to release their derivative works under the GPL, commercial for those who don't.

OK, never mind -- I found the Juga site. It says "support subscription required" for download. I'm not seeing where it claims to be GPL, though.
    Last edited by wmcbrine; March 19th, 2009 at 03:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thanks for answers. Here is a link where I found it's GPLv2
    http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/2587/details

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License
    While the GPL does allow commercial distribution of GPL software, the market price will settle near the price of distribution—near zero—since the purchasers may redistribute the software and its source code for their cost of redistribution.
    If you buy a copy, you can redistribute it. If there is a legal site that allows download of this piece of software for free, fine. If not, you have to buy it.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]