Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Bass Guitar

Beans
    Hidden!

Electric Bass Guitar

I am taking Electric Bass Guitar lessons this Spring and I am in the market for an affordable (under $200) but good electric bass guitar for an absolute beginner, I was wondering if anybody had any good recommendations?

Aesthetically, I like the electric bass guitars with a natural Mahogany finish or other natural wood finish (not just a finish but made of solid wood is preferable).

Is a 4 string or a 5 string electric bass guitar better for an absolute beginner?

I have found some electric bass guitars that have as many as 4 control knobs and some as few as 2; thus my other question: is 2, 3, or 4 control knobs better?

What are some good brands out there for an inexpensive but good (sounding and hold up after time) electric bass guitars?

Also, I am not opposed to a good used electric bass guitar but it seems like that would require considerable in depth knowledge of electric bass guitars that I just don't have.

Any input is greatly appreciated in advance (my apologies for this not being Linux or Ubuntu related).

Beans

Re: Electric Bass Guitar

for a beginner, you can get away with a pretty cheap bass. if you have short arms, you'll want to get something with a little relief in the neck (no rickenbachers, in other words). four string is fine. most of the great bass players stuck with four. nice username, btw. e17 user, i'm guessing?

Beans

Start visiting pawn shops and trying out basses. Most have at least one or a few, larger ones often have many. You should be able to find one you like, but it could take several visits.

The number of pots depends on the number of pickups and how they're set up. You'll usually find one tone and one volume pot per pickup, so for two pickups the usual setup is 4 pots. It's possible to have only two or three, though, depending on a number of things. Some pots can have two functions, by pulling them up or pushing them down. I prefer one tone and one volume per pickup, but I've built a few instruments with only a volume control, and a couple with no controls at all. I did find that a volume control, or at least a kill switch, is almost a necessity. I tend to run the volume full open, as well as the tone, controlling things with the amp or other devices, but if you put the instrument down, you want to be able to kill the volume, or else you can get sudden feedback. It's possible to pull the cord, but that's far from optimal, since it makes noise going in and coming out, and can cause noise just lying on the floor.

Try out some instruments in music stores and pawn shops, and buy what works best for you. There is no one right instrument, it's a very subjective thing and everyone has a different need.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by chucky chuckaluck View Post
    for a beginner, you can get away with a pretty cheap bass. if you have short arms, you'll want to get something with a little relief in the neck (no rickenbachers, in other words). four string is fine. most of the great bass players stuck with four.
    Thanks for the quick reply affordablilty is key but I was looking for some quality sound also.

nice username, btw. e17 user, i'm guessing?
    Thanks, I do dabble a bit but I honestly find myself using OSX over anything else.

I am in search of a good linux distro for recovery of picture files on XP, hence put forth in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1098043

I think I have been given a good solution

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    Start visiting pawn shops and trying out basses. Most have at least one or a few, larger ones often have many. You should be able to find one you like, but it could take several visits.

The number of pots depends on the number of pickups and how they're set up. You'll usually find one tone and one volume pot per pickup, so for two pickups the usual setup is 4 pots. It's possible to have only two or three, though, depending on a number of things. Some pots can have two functions, by pulling them up or pushing them down. I prefer one tone and one volume per pickup, but I've built a few instruments with only a volume control, and a couple with no controls at all. I did find that a volume control, or at least a kill switch, is almost a necessity. I tend to run the volume full open, as well as the tone, controlling things with the amp or other devices, but if you put the instrument down, you want to be able to kill the volume, or else you can get sudden feedback. It's possible to pull the cord, but that's far from optimal, since it makes noise going in and coming out, and can cause noise just lying on the floor.

Try out some instruments in music stores and pawn shops, and buy what works best for you. There is no one right instrument, it's a very subjective thing and everyone has a different need.
    I am not sure what "pots" are? are they the control knobs I see in pictures?

I live in a small community with no pawn shops or guitar stores so I was hoping to buy something online.

Thanks for the quick response also.
    Last edited by Audrey Hepburn on Crack; March 17th, 2009 at 04:35 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey Hepburn on Crack View Post
    Thanks, I do dabble a bit but I honestly find myself using OSX over anything else.
    that's more like grace kelly on *****.

Beans
    Hidden!

that's more like grace kelly on *****.
    Shoot! If I only had the forethought and your originality I would have come up with such a great name!

btw I have found this Electric Bass Guitar online:

Ibanez GSR100EX Soundgear Bass Guitar in a matte traditional Mahogany finish, under $200 and it looks nice, I was wondering if any experienced Electric Bass Guitar players could give me some feedback on this model?

Does it look good for an absolute beginner like myself?
    Last edited by Audrey Hepburn on Crack; March 17th, 2009 at 04:49 AM.

Beans

My first bass was a Samwick 4 string fender copy, was only $99 new, and did the trick. Hard part is finding a cheap amp that wont sound like crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile Re: Electric Bass Guitar

I've been thumpin on the bass for close to 15 years and Ibanez is far and away my favorite!! I've owned some very nice and expensive basses and by far, regaurdless of price, ibanez wins hands down for me.

I've played that 4 string sound gear ur talkin about in a painted model and it rocks. its not too heavy, very easy to play and sounds great in a variety of musical settings...that's what i like most about ibanez, i think, is the versatility. You can go from Jaco to Claypool without ever changin basses..especially if you spend a couple more dimes for the active electronics(uber tone control).

Ibanez has it all, although i do own a few other brands and each one has its strengths and serve a specific roll in my arsenal, my 6 string ibanez btb is the bass of choice these days.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey Hepburn on Crack View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply affordablilty is key but I was looking for some quality sound...

I am not sure what "pots" are? are they the control knobs I see in pictures?
    I've been playing for almost 8 years. With musical instruments, you really get what you pay for. Currently, I own two basses, one cost me $200, the other was $750, the more expensive one is MUCH better in all respects for me, playability, tone, versatility, etc. Learn to play first, worry about tone later...

And the the control knobs control the pots, which make modifications to the circuit in the basses' preamp, which affects tone/volume.

EDIT: Matt, beat me...my more expensive one is an Ibanez, my cheaper one is a Dean, I really like Ibanenez's series of basses. Although my dream bass is a Warwick Thumb (~$3500)
    Last edited by namegame; March 17th, 2009 at 05:43 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by namegame View Post
    Although my dream bass is a Warwick Thumb (~$3500)
    Warwick make my dream bass also!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast