Thread: Totem Movie Player

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Question Totem Movie Player

Is there any way to update to the newest version of Totem in Ubuntu 8.10?
    Mark in Cincinnati
    "It's great to be free from Windows XP!!!"

Beans

Re: Totem Movie Player

well you can, why one would want to, I'm not sure.

The safest and most dependable method would be to install as a package set.
    Your choices would be to find a ppa for intrepid that has the newer totem, build your own, or another way that's not worth mentioning. (imo)

Like a lot of other 'apps' totem is split up into various packages - totem, totem-gstreamer, totem-xine, totem-common and several plugin packages.

If you were to build it's much better to build a 'totem' package set vs. a make install.

In that case you could use the jaunty totem source, apply the jaunty totem diff and build a deb set. It would only require one small edit to the control file and installing python-coherence (the intrepid version is fine), though glancing at the build log suggests a few additional things could be enabled if desired.

while i mainly use hardy I have an intrepid install, went ahead and did, seems fine.
    The only thing i haven't tested was the mozilla plugin ( guess i'd have to find a site that uses it.

considering this is posted in the beginner forum I don't know if that's what your up for, and again don't know if there is any point/advantage here.

screen shows package set built

edit
    have 2 package sets, one orig., other with the publish and mythtv plugins enabled. Will install easily into any 8.10, can be uploaded to mediafire if requested
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; June 27th, 2009 at 11:36 PM. Reason: deb sets