Thread: Faulty commands have messed up Ubuntu

Beans

Faulty commands have messed up Ubuntu

Hi,

I am a newbie to linux and ubuntu. I installed ubuntu on my old Dell laptop, a Dell Inspiron 2200. The wireless card was not recognized ( it's a broadcom 4318 ) so I followed this guide to make sure it was recognized.

Well, I ended up entering some faulty code, so now Ubuntu will not start up properly, nor can I get wireless internet to work.

Is there any way I can reinstall Ubuntu or do something to reverse the code?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Faulty commands have messed up Ubuntu

If you want to reinstall, the best way is just to put that install disk back in and start over. This guide looks like it uses some bash scripts, and if you used those, it will be hard to find what happened, unless you can post some error messages.

Also, when you do your reinstall, plug an ethernet cable into your laptop, because I imagine ubuntu has a restricted driver you can use. Ubuntu install usually goes a lot smoother when you have internet.

Beans

Can I reinstall Ubuntu?

I accidentally put in some faulty code in the terminal for ubuntu. It's completely messed up my system now.

Can I reinstall Ubuntu? If so, how?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can I reinstall Ubuntu?

You can reinstall Ubuntu the same way you originally installed it. Put the LiveCD in the drive and reboot and follow the instructions.

Jim

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You don't need to do a complete reinstalling to get rid of this faulty wifi startup.
    I just red the guide you followed and found this:
    Step 6.
    Now I have included a wifi.sh file in the zipped folder near the top. You need to put this file in “/etc/init.d/” then type these commands in a terminal:
    sudo cd /etc/init.d/
    sudo update-rc.d wifi.sh defaults
    sudo chmod +x wifi.sh

This ensures the wifi starts on bootup!

So , to unable the startup just boot into recovery mode and in console typ:

Code:
    sudo rm /etc/init.d/wifi.sh
    Then reboot like normal.

also:
    I found this, hope this guide will keep your wifi going.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=197102

compwiz 18

This process is vastly simplified in Hardy. The easiest way to do it is to open the Hardware Drivers program (go to the System menu in the top left corner of the screen, and click Administration, and then Hardware Drivers) and check the Broadcom B43 wireless driver box, and reboot.
    Done.

A couple of notes about that procedure:

It installs the b43 driver, which is semi-open source. The b43 driver works decently and will cover most peoples' wireless needs, and is easy to setup. However, you can also choose to use ndiswrapper, which will provide you with a slightly faster connection. For information on how to set that up, see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766560.
    Last edited by mhgsys; March 16th, 2009 at 06:03 PM.
    When your thread it solved: go to thread tools > Mark this thread as solved
    for SIS 771/671 use xcompmgr to have transparent terminals. just load it at startup.

And then they asked: what's a pbkac error?

Beans

Thanks for the help, everybody. I inserted the CD in and tried to autorun it, but ubuntu claims that cannot find the autorun program.

mhgsys- I typed in what you said, and since ubuntu claimed that wasn't the proble, I tried undoing the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist line that caused the problem. That seemed to work.

I am using Intreprid, and I tried using the guide you provided. It did the automatic Gusty setup, but that didn't work. Thanks for the guide anyways.

Beans

You need to put the CD in before booting up the entire machine. then let the BIOS find it and boot from it. Then follow the destructions as you presumably did in the first place.

Beans

The commands shouldn't have caused ubuntu to not boot but once you've reinstalled try running the .sh scripts as it removes any chance of human error.

Samuel