Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: web browsers suddenly close on me

Beans

Lightbulb web browsers suddenly close on me

i am new to ubuntu and dont know much, so if replies can be written out as simple to read as possible, that would be greatly appreciated. i do have an okay knowledge of using the terminal basic ubuntu-ness.
    web browsers keep suddenly closing on me, and it started off annoying, and has gotten to be a problem. i tried downloading and using differant browsers like seamonkey, but found the same problem. it actually just suddenly exxited out and i restored it luckily to find that this txt is still here. they just suddenly close out..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: web browsers suddenly close on me

There's little you can do unless a Firefox extesion is the cause. You can disable all extensions and bring them back one at a time. There are some browser bugs which can cause a crash regardless of extensions. I've changed to Epiphany which uses the same Gecko rendering engine as Firefox. It only occasionaly crashs for me when closing a tab. It also restarts much faster than Firefox or Seamonkey. Being faster and more stable are where Epiphany wins. Since the occassional crash only happens when closing a tab I don't loose anything and Epiphany restarts exactly where it would be if the tab just closed.

If the browser crashed when starting you could delete the configuration files or try starting the browser on the command line with a text file argument which would clear out some elements of the configuration.
    Thank a veteran -- George 8)
    Internet Coach & Writer
    Personal Blog -- 3 Joes' Blog

Beans
    Distro

Have you tried Opera? I switched to it after having the same problem with Firefox.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jwbrase View Post
    Have you tried Opera? I switched to it after having the same problem with Firefox.
    I used Opera a ways back but I'm not interested in the PIM extras in Opera as I've settled on the GPE PIM family which runs both on my Ubuntu desktop and my Nokia N810 handheld.
    Internet Coach & Writer

Beans

is opera on the synapic pack manager, if so, whats it called exactly?

Beans
    Distro

It doesn't appear in the Ubuntu repositories but you can download a package tailored for your version of Ubuntu at http://www.opera.com/download/
    Internet Coach & Writer

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jli024 View Post
    is opera on the synapic pack manager, if so, whats it called exactly?
    Actually, Opera is not the Ubuntu repository, so you'll have to download it from Opera's website and use dpkg to install it...

That, oooooooor you can check the following link out - it has a list of some pretty epic repositories you should add. One of the listed ones is Opera's repository, so you'll be able to install it via apt-get or synaptic ^_^

http://blog.ibeentoubuntu.com/2009/0...u-810-you.html

Beans

Well, I'm about to go nuts. I am an experienced user, but new to Linux. I have Ubuntu Hardy installed on a T61 Lenovo Laptop. First it was browsers closing on me. I tried other browsers, but they also closed. I disabled Totem on Mozilla to no avail. I think it has closed out other programs. BUT IT IS ANNOYING AS HELL. Sorry to yell, but I'm quite aggravated. If you could give me some tips on getting to the bottom of this, I'd appreciate it. I don't see any reason why Ubuntu shouldn't be able to run Mozilla.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Did any of the webpages have Flash right before the browsers closes on you, by any chance?

Beans

Could be. Seems generally there is several tabs open. Often facebook tabs. Seems GMail is flash too, so that could be the issue. What can I do? Is there any logs I can check?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast