Thread: Dual Booting Suse, and Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Red face Dual Booting Suse, and Ubuntu

yeah, so I was going to dual boot, ubuntu and suse, to see what some of the differences where, and when I did it somehow I did it wrong and now my ubuntu boot doesn't work, says something about the root folder being unable to be found, is there anyway I can fix this or should I just start from scratch, and is there any way I can recover files I had on the ubuntu possibly?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Dual Booting Suse, and Ubuntu

actually, after a bit of searching I found the files from my other boot, so I have been backing up my stuff in case I can't restore my ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm no expert, but think that you would need to edit Grub (likely under openSUSE) so your Ubuntu install is correctly recognized.

Was openSUSE installed after you installed Ubuntu? I didn't have any problems with this on one computer where I was trying openSUSE out, but definitely had an issue with it on another one, which was resolved for me by doing a reinstall of Ubuntu, after which Grub picked up the openSUSE install correctly. The reason I did it this way is that in my situation, both were newly installed, and I didn't have anything to save from the Ubuntu install. Good luck.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by avtolle View Post
    I'm no expert, but think that you would need to edit Grub (likely under openSUSE) so your Ubuntu install is correctly recognized.

Was openSUSE installed after you installed Ubuntu? I didn't have any problems with this on one computer where I was trying openSUSE out, but definitely had an issue with it on another one, which was resolved for me by doing a reinstall of Ubuntu, after which Grub picked up the openSUSE install correctly. The reason I did it this way is that in my situation, both were newly installed, and I didn't have anything to save from the Ubuntu install. Good luck.
    I installed SUSE second, just today actually, so how wuld I got about editing grub? right now I'm in the SUSE live cd so I don't have to worry about not being able to do anything because of my hdd being mounted.

Beans
    Distro

when I first start it and grub loads up, if I try to load ubuntu or the failsafe it gives me this message
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

well I am transfering all the things off of this hdd onto my gf's computer, and by the time that is done I am just going to start fresh and reload both lol, with the rate it's going that should take long enough for me to either get the fix or not.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, had to leave for a while.

It does definitely appear that Grub under Suse cannot find either Ubuntu or the failsafe. Looking around a bit, it appears that Suse uses a config file, rather than /boot/grub/menu.lst as Ubuntu uses. As I said earlier, I'm no expert, so where you go from here is beyond my knowledge. Good luck with what you're attempting; sorry I couldn't be of better assistance.

Beans
    Distro

If you're going to reinstall, I'd suggest Suse first, then Ubuntu; Grub on Ubuntu seems to do a very good job detecting exisiting o/s.

Beans

If you just want to try distros out, use Virtualbox. Install the one you like best on your machine then try the others out as vms.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by avtolle View Post
    If you're going to reinstall, I'd suggest Suse first, then Ubuntu; Grub on Ubuntu seems to do a very good job detecting exisiting o/s.
    hehe thanks

@simian man
    it's not so much trying them out or I'd just stick to the live cd's but I remember really enjoying the amount I could mess around in suse, and I like the support features of ubuntu, looking at them now it's almost like looking at the same then after a fresh install but i'd like to have both, yanno?

in the future I doubt this will be a problem because i'm looking at making a home server, so I can have all of my computers backed up lol