Thread: Extracting the exe file

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Extracting the exe file

Guys is there a way I can extract the exe file. The file is vista transfomation pack.exe, I have tryd both winrar and winzip. There are files that I want that are store in that exe, is there a way either in ubuntu or xp
    Monitor: LG flatron w1954s 22", mobo: G31-m7 series, CPU: Intel LGA 775 Intel core duo 2 2,66GHZ, RAM: 3GB, GPU: ATI Radeom HD 2400, Storage: 500GB SATA and 80GB IDE, Windows 7 ultimate and Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Extracting the exe file

First, this should be in one of the support forums, since you posted it in here, I ask the mods to move it to General Help (out of respect for you not wanting to put it in Absolute Beginner).

And now, what exactly are you trying to do?

Are you trying to run an exe file under wine in Ubuntu?
    Or are you just trying to install some program in Windows XP?

Provide more details.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

No I am trying to extract the files in that exe without having to install it either in wine or ubuntu. i just want the files that are inside the exe.

And sorry for posting in a wrong place
    Monitor: LG flatron w1954s 22", mobo: G31-m7 series, CPU: Intel LGA 775 Intel core duo 2 2,66GHZ, RAM: 3GB, GPU: ATI Radeom HD 2400, Storage: 500GB SATA and 80GB IDE, Windows 7 ultimate and Ubuntu

Beans

I doubt you can do that in Ubuntu, or in Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

if it's a real .exe, a binary, executable file, you can't unpack it. If it's some form of self-extracting archive, winrar should be able to deal with it, or you can run the .exe with /? to see if it has instructions to unpack it.

you should also read the license to see if the sort of thing you're trying to do is allowed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

open it with wine and hope it isnt a lame trick to distribute a virus.

other than that it will be impossible to run it (what you got is a program not an archive of files, even though the only thing the program does is write files to your system... extracting files...)