Thread: Installing Windows XP on a disk having OSX and Ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Installing Windows XP on a disk having OSX and Ubuntu 9.04

Hi.

My macbook is currently configured with OSX and Ubuntu 9.04.

Now, I bought an HTC Hero (running Android OS, which is Linux) phone which comes with Windows-only Sync software and an application for upgrading the firmware which only runs on Windows. I read that the new firmware is fixing the incredible slowness suffered by the phone, so I'd like to upgrade the firmware.
    But to upgrade the firmware I need to install Windows on my mac (I already tried running Windows on VirtualBox with no luck).

But I am not sure I can install Windows XP AFTER OSX+Linux...
    I know Windows is quite problematic OS and wants to be installed in particular areas of the disk, and stuff like that.

Also this scenario (Windows after OSX+Linux) is not covered here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...elInstallation

Did anybody tried to install Windows on a machine which was already running OSX+Linux? Any trouble? Any trick?

I hate devices coming with Windows-only drivers, I already complained with HTC. (A firmware should be upgradable directly by the phone, I can't justify what Windows is needed for...)

Thanks.
    Luigi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing Windows XP on a disk having OSX and Ubuntu 9.04

The windows install will take over the master Boot Record, now this can be dealt with in grub edit if that is what is controlling the boot now, it is a process though not for the uninitiated. If you just need firm ware find a friend with windows or go to the library and use the windows programs that way.