Thread: Intrepid for MacBook Pro4,1 fixup script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Intrepid for MacBook Pro4,1 fixup script

I have put together a script to do most of the things listed in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...ro4-1/Intrepid and related posts.

It will not run unless the hardware is a MacBook Pro 4,1, and it is only for Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid).

It could be modified for other Macs and Ubuntu versions if someone has the time.

It is not perfect: the touchpad fdi file works fie but not all the options are set for some reason that I do not yet understand. Everything else seems fine so far.

Lots of things work well: Apple remote, sleep/resume, touchpad (could be better though), display brightness, keyboard backlight and compiz (with Nvidia driver).

The script is written in such a way that any error will halt the script with a (hopefully) useful error message.

At the moment it comes in two parts: a little script to append lines to a file, and the actual install script.

It is safe to run over and over again, even if you have implemented some of the recommendations already - but at your own risk. It should do no harm, but check the files that are modified for any oddness or duplication.

The first script called pc-add-config-line.sh and the main script is called pc-macbook-pro4-1-intrepid-fixup.sh

Both can be installed in your home directory.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Re: Intrepid for MacBook Pro4,1 fixup script

This is just the type of script I was looking for.

A thousand thanks.

Beans
    Distro

I'm pleased that you have found it useful. If I can be of further assistance, just ask.

Thanks for your reply.

Beans

Well.. I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 / Jaunty on a Macbook 4,1 ; I suppose your script wont work due to it being written for 8.10 / Intrepid?

I haven't taken a reeeal good look at the code yet, but it should be easy to port it over to 9.10, right?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by primatephreak View Post
    Well.. I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 / Jaunty on a Macbook 4,1 ; I suppose your script wont work due to it being written for 8.10 / Intrepid?

I haven't taken a reeeal good look at the code yet, but it should be easy to port it over to 9.10, right?
    I think you mean 9.04. I don't have a MacBook 4,1 (I do have access to a MacBook1,1 but I have not loaded Ubuntu yet).\

Change the obvious version checks, and check the Ubuntu community instructions for setting-up a MacBook 4,1 for any differences.

Then let it run. If something fails, it can be commented-out in most instances.

I will be upgrading to 9.10 in a month or so so I will probably be making some changes then.