Thread: Cannot activate screensaver

Beans
    Hidden!

Cannot activate screensaver

Thought I'd see if anyone has suggestions on how to fix this. My screensaver won't activate, I see the screen start to darken but as soon as it goes to load, it pushes back to the desktop. I have swapped between a few different screensavers to see if it was that but it's the same result every time. I don't remember doing any major changes however I also haven't used the screensaver since before I installed nVidia 180 gfx drivers (there has been numerous updates to the laptop since then).

I have the Pangolin Performance (purchased this last January).

I'm going to try backdating my drivers and see if that solves the problem.
    "Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual." - Terry Pratchett

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Cannot activate screensaver

FYI, that had no effect...

I managed to get a work around going by having it lock the computer when it activates the screensaver.
    Last edited by betrunkenaffe; March 14th, 2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Additional information.
    "Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual." - Terry Pratchett

Beans

Have you tried xscreensaver?
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.

Beans
    Hidden!

Nope, just wanted to get the ones that came installed with Ubuntu to work. They used to. Just stopped working for some reason. I also had to disable the screen turn off functionality because the screen wouldn't come back on

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Code:
    I managed to get a work around going by having it lock the computer when it activates the screensaver.
    That sounds like it could be an xserver or an nVidia bug. I'll run some tests on it and see if I get the same problem.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Hidden!

I thought it was an nVidia bug but I still had it when I back dated to 177 for driver. It's not a huge issue since screensavers are pointless these days without the account lock. The screen shut off is more of an annoyance to me now simply because it's a power saving feature that isn't available (granted, I'll probably suspend the comp when not doing things).

Beans
    Hidden!

thomas: how did your tests go?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Sorry, I forgot to post back.

I'm getting the same thing, with or without compiz enabled.

I think it is this bug...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/in...er/+bug/278112

We're smack in the middle of Jaunty testing now. I'll report back on whether or not it is fixed there.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Hidden!

Fantastic, that is exactly the bug. If it's fixed in Jaunty, yay, otherwise, oh well.