Thread: Wifi and ethernet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wifi and ethernet

Hi I have a theory question.

How does Ubuntu handle the situation where I am plugged into ethernet while also connected via wifi to a wireless access point? Assume that I have good connections to both and nothing between the computer and the internet.

My boils down to how does Ubuntu pick which interface to use? Does it use both? Does it split the traffic? Any information related to this scenario would be welcomed!

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Wifi and ethernet

I believe it doesn't split traffic by default but not sure which it chooses. Probably can set that. I use Wicd and can config priority but not sure about default Network Manager. It probably chooses wired LAN over wifi though.

It is possible to configure combining bandwidth through either bonding or routing tables. It's a bit of command line work and knowledge.
    Send tips to: 17raXAGM42vZX21Vcb5HDwq2GMLmVwN4qd

Beans

Re: Wifi and ethernet

It definitely doesn't split the traffic. Any time I've been on wireless and then I plugged into wired NetworkManager chose the wired connection. I don't know where this is defined or configured - it must be somewhere - but it probably does some type of internal diagnostic looking for whichever is the fastest connection.