Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VPN Problem with PPTP - LCP terminated by peer

Beans

Re: VPN Problem with PPTP - LCP terminated by peer

Hi, I am using Karmic (9.10) and still have this problem -- All the switches are set as stated but authentication wont succeed. What can I do? Let me know what information you need

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spre View Post
    Hi, I am using Karmic (9.10) and still have this problem -- All the switches are set as stated but authentication wont succeed. What can I do? Let me know what information you need
    I'm having the same issue.

While it works when I did 2 things below
    1. uncheck the EAP in the Authentication list
    2. check 'Use Point-to-Point encryption (MPPE)'

You can try it too.

Beans

After a lot of fiddling around, I got PPTP VPN to work under Karmic. Here is what worked for me:

1. Enter gateway, for example "vpn.example.com"

2. Enter user name as "DOMAIN\user". Do _not_ fill out password or NT domain.

3. Make sure that EAP is _not_ selected. Select PAP, CHAP, MSCHAP, MSCHAPv2.

4. Select Point-to-Point-encryption (MPPE).

For troubleshooting, check for error messages in /var/log/daemon.log . BTW, even though it eventually worked, I still got the error messages I had seen before, and a few more:

Code:
    Nov 22 16:31:59 scylla pptp[2184]: nm-pptp-service-2179 log[main:pptp.c:314]: The synchronous pptp option is NOT activated
    Nov 22 16:31:59 scylla NetworkManager:    SCPlugin-Ifupdown: devices added (path: /sys/devices/virtual/net/ppp0, iface: ppp0)
    Nov 22 16:31:59 scylla NetworkManager:    SCPlugin-Ifupdown: device added (path: /sys/devices/virtual/net/ppp0, iface: ppp0): no ifupdown configuration found.

Nov 22 16:32:00 scylla pptp[2190]: nm-pptp-service-2179 warn[ctrlp_disp:pptp_ctrl.c:956]: Non-zero Async Control Character Maps are not supported!
    Nov 22 16:32:00 scylla modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting padlock_sha (/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/crypto/padlock-sha.ko): No such device

Nov 22 16:32:03 scylla nm-dispatcher.action: Script '/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/01ifupdown' exited with error status 1.

Beans

I'm having a similar problem. After trying for some time I finally go my connection working (Ubuntu 9.10, also on Kubuntu 9.10 with gnome network manager).

On both I get a connection sometimes, but not always. When I connect the connection is rock solid and everything is ok. The problem I have is that this isn't reliable. Without changing anything sometimes I get a connection, sometimes not. This can be in a period of a few minutes. After four hours of no problems shutting down the VPN then opening again gives me a VPN connection failure.

I'm stumped and a little frustrated, under windows XP I get no problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ok. now, just to make sure, the following should also be done.

in advanced iptions:
    1. under MPPE , check allow stateful encryption
    2.uncheck allow BSD data
    3. Uncheck allow deflate data compression

then
    4. uncheck available to all users

this seemed to be working for a lot many ppl.

Beans

I had the same problem on Ubuntu 9.10. Couldn't connect to the microsoft pptp vpn using the gnome network manager.

I ended up uninstall the default gnome network manager and then I installed KNetworkManager, which is the same thing but it is KDE. I had no problems with it, except eventually I found out I had to restart the network every single time i made a configuration change for the full effect of the change to work. So I went through and changed each vpn advanced setting that was hinted at in a tail -f /var/log/syslog. And restarted the network each time:
    service network-manager restart
    or
    /etc/init.d/network-manager restart
    whatever works for you.

My final settings that worked to connect the vpn are:

Login: [login name]
    Password: [password]
    NT Domain: [blank]

PAP unchecked
    CHAP unchecked
    MSCHAP checked
    MSCHAPv2 checked
    EAP unchecked

Use MPPE checked
    Crypto: Any
    Use Stateful encryption unchecked

Allow BSD compression checked
    Allow Deflate checked
    Allow TCP header checked

Send PPP echo unchecked

I found that each setting played an important part in getting success, wether on or off

Beans

Smile Re: VPN Problem with PPTP - LCP terminated by peer

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 and tried the same steps which ended up with the following error.

<<<>>>> pppd[2042]: Plugin /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.5//nm-pptp-pppd-plugin.so loaded.
    <<<>>>> pppd[2042]: pppd 2.4.5 started by root, uid 0
    <<<>>>> pppd[2042]: Using interface ppp1
    <<<>>>> pppd[2042]: Connect: ppp1 <--> /dev/pts/1
    <<<>>>> pppd[2042]: LCP terminated by peer (<REMOVED>)
    <<<>>>> pppd[2042]: Connection terminated.
    <<<>>>> pppd[2042]: Modem hangup
    <<<>>>> pppd[2042]: Exit

Finally I tried with the following.

username@domain for the username field

It worked !!!

Hope some one out there with the same problem will benefit from this post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12