Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: iPhoto on Ubuntu?

Beans

iPhoto on Ubuntu?

So, up to this point, I've only been using Ubuntu as a novelty. I play with it occasionally, but I still do all my work under OS X. Lately, however, I've been thinking of making the full on switch to Ubuntu. The problem? iPhoto! Both my wife and I love iPhoto and thus far I personally feel that nothing compares to it IMHO.

What is the current state of affairs regarding getting iPhoto to work under ubuntu? Is it possible by way of any emulators? I'm not looking for iPhoto alternatives, but rather iPhoto itself. The same question remains for iTunes, but I feel that I can live without iTunes more easily than iPhoto.

Any input is much appreciated and highly valued. Thanks!

Beans

Re: iPhoto on Ubuntu?

I'm a bit curious... May I ask why you want to do this switch from Mac OS X to Ubuntu?
    What are the advantages in Ubuntu over Mac OS X that you see?

As for iPhoto in Ubuntu – I think that will be quite difficult. It's a ”pure” Mac OS X in all ways and I don't know of a good (if any) way to run Mac applications in Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

there is no current state of affairs on running OS X applications in Ubuntu.

You might be able to run the windows version of iTunes in wine.

I know you didn't ask for alternatives, but Picasa 3 just came out recently, and it is pretty close to iPhoto.

Beans

Picasa 3 looks good, but still not what I'm looking for... Although, it might be as good as it's going to get for me.

As for why I'm wanting to move away from OS X, it's hard to explain, but I'll try.

1. I'm sick of paying thousands for Apple hardware. Hacking OS X is one way to go, but I'd rather work with an OS that is trying to work with me and my hardware, rather than against me. Who knows what kind of updates Apple might release that will hinder efforts to run OS X on hardware of my choice.

2. I think that the future lies with open source. Apple or Microsoft simply can't compete with the amount of people constantly improving Ubuntu.

3. I like the versatility Ubuntu provides when it comes to hardware choices. If I want to spend $300 on a netbook or a tower, I know that there will be a version of Ubuntu for me. You couldn't dream of spending that much on an Apple and hope to run a current version of the OS.

4. It sounds cheesy, but I strongly agree with Ubuntu's philosophy of providing a free operating system available to EVERYONE for free.

There is more, but I'll spare the details for another thread. Thanks for the input. I think it will be easier for me to give up on the iLife apps I love than it will be for my wife. I'm sure I'll always have an Apple system in my home running OS X, but it won't be long until my OS X machine is my hobby computer.

Beans

You should definitly give Picasa another try, I like it better than iPhoto.

Beans

For iTunes,Try Songbird.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pmhauge View Post
    Picasa 3 looks good, but still not what I'm looking for... Although, it might be as good as it's going to get for me.

As for why I'm wanting to move away from OS X, it's hard to explain, but I'll try.

1. I'm sick of paying thousands for Apple hardware. Hacking OS X is one way to go, but I'd rather work with an OS that is trying to work with me and my hardware, rather than against me. Who knows what kind of updates Apple might release that will hinder efforts to run OS X on hardware of my choice.

2. I think that the future lies with open source. Apple or Microsoft simply can't compete with the amount of people constantly improving Ubuntu.

3. I like the versatility Ubuntu provides when it comes to hardware choices. If I want to spend $300 on a netbook or a tower, I know that there will be a version of Ubuntu for me. You couldn't dream of spending that much on an Apple and hope to run a current version of the OS.

4. It sounds cheesy, but I strongly agree with Ubuntu's philosophy of providing a free operating system available to EVERYONE for free.

There is more, but I'll spare the details for another thread. Thanks for the input. I think it will be easier for me to give up on the iLife apps I love than it will be for my wife. I'm sure I'll always have an Apple system in my home running OS X, but it won't be long until my OS X machine is my hobby computer.
    From the sound of it, you should get new hardware too.

Beans

How do you figure? Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

They're all different programmes - so it really depends what you want out of them, but I use banshee for music and digikam for photos. Neither have the slick level of integration you will be used to on the mac, but both do what it says on the tin.
    I haven't used iPhoto for ages, so can't really remember what all its features are - digikam allows me to download, store, view, tag and basic edit my digital camera snaps. That's all I need so I'm happy.
    I am not a fan of iTunes (which I do use with my iPod touch), but I also have some gripes with banshee (I have higher expectations from a music library organiser). I would like much better tagging and searching functions - but iTunes doesn't give me this either. Amarok is very popular as well - it is built for the KDE desktop (as is digikam) but runs just fine under Gnome (vanilla Ubuntu).

Also - please don't be apologetic for switching to Ubuntu. You are in the right!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pmhauge View Post
    How do you figure?
    If you don't want OSX, then why have a Mac? Get a machine that is designed to be compatible with Ubuntu.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...=19&l=en&s=dhs

http://system76.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast