Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LMMS - why is it so unknown?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question LMMS - why is it so unknown?

I've wondered for a while why LMMS, the music/midi/sample sequencer, is so overshadowed by other audio editors like Ardour, etc. If you actually dig into LMMS, you can do some pretty amazing things in combination with a MIDI keyboard. Even without one, it's an awesome piece of software and pretty simple to start using.

And yet, there's no proper forum for the project and little documentation. How come? I think LMMS deserves better, and if it was more well-known, it'd be ranked as the best free package of its kind. It even has a Windows installer!
    Laptop: Inspiron 1501 - AMD64 (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, 120 GB HDD, ATI 1150. Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty testing.
    Beginner's Guide to the Terminal! | FutureLooks 3 on GNOME-Look | Follow me on Twitter!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: LMMS - why is it so unknown?

I think because not everyone uses such advanced tools. Most of the time if a user has some sound edit to do,a simple editor like Audacity will do the Job.

Although if you know your tools of trade you know you are better of in most of the case with LMMS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I used LMMS, actually! Even blogged about it once or twice. It may be because it's interface/features are obviously "unique" in that they closely resemble FLStudio/Fruity Loops so people may not instantly know what/how to use it.

It's a brilliant piece of software though - even opens fruityloops files and instruments/effects which is awesome. It is essentially fruityloops for free!
    OMG! Ubuntu!
    Everything Ubuntu. Daily.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by joey-elijah View Post
    I used LMMS, actually! Even blogged about it once or twice. It may be because it's interface/features are obviously "unique" in that they closely resemble FLStudio/Fruity Loops so people may not instantly know what/how to use it.

It's a brilliant piece of software though - even opens fruityloops files and instruments/effects which is awesome. It is essentially fruityloops for free!
    Resemble what???

** goes to install **

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Wow, it IS awesome. Interface is familiar indeed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Try using the Zynaddsubfx (sp) plugin. It's phenomenal.
    Laptop: Inspiron 1501 - AMD64 (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, 120 GB HDD, ATI 1150. Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty testing.
    Beginner's Guide to the Terminal! | FutureLooks 3 on GNOME-Look | Follow me on Twitter!

Beans

you saw this, right? http://lmms.sourceforge.net/
    thank you, dan henderson.

Beans

I use Schism now. I've been a tracker since 1997 and used to use Scream Tracker, FastTracker and Impulse Tracker. I did like fruity loops though so I might give LMMS a try

Linux is ok for sound stuff but I also use Windows because I like some of the karaoke software available on there. Van Basco Karaoke player is great and some of the VST effects on Mad Tracker are pretty good.

Beans

I'm checking it out now on Windows at work. Looks quite nice. I'll try and make something on it when I get home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsie View Post
    I'm checking it out now on Windows at work. Looks quite nice. I'll try and make something on it when I get home
    Yeah, it initially looks quite limited IMO, until you start to dive into the plugins. I recommend downloading the LMMS 0.4.4 packages, as Ubuntu's repos only have 0.4.2, with no proper Zyn plugin (and this plugin really is the best bit of LMMS at the moment)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast