Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Main Menu startup delay very annoying

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Main Menu startup delay very annoying

Has anyone else noticed that if you use the main menu(the one without App's,places,system), when you first start your computer or log in to gnome, there is a couple seconds (sometimes as much as 10) delay between when you click on the icon and when the menu appears. I assume this is because it is loading the menu and icons into memory. After the first time, it loads up instantaneously (so must be cached). Is there a way to cause the menu and its icons to always be loaded into memory when you log into gnome - so you don't have the delay later when you click on the main menu. This is very annoying.

If I put the Menu Bar back on the panel (the one with App's,places,system) then both menus have little or no delay, but I don't like the Menu bar as it takes up sooo much panel space and with changing backgrounds I can't always read the words anyway (panel set translucent).

I have searched everywhere for some cashing code, tried some things that are suppose to speed up menus but they don't fix this.

Beans

Re: Main Menu startup delay very annoying

Yep... I find this totally annoying too.

I've recently upgrading my memory from 0.5GB to 2GB, and I'm noticing much much less.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: Main Menu startup delay very annoying

Well it's good to know I'm not totally alone. I'm running 1gb in my laptop, but I don't think it's a hardware issue. That would be Kind of the Microsoft way out of poorly implemented code.

Thanks for the input though

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I guess I really am alone on this one, well I'll keep working on it with my limited understanding of how things work...who knows...maybe I will learn something new and share it. I would take any help I can get though!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For all who stumble across this thread I found a reasonable way to use the menu-bar and not take up so much panel here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...menu%3F&page=2 it works for me! and there is no noticeable delay on the first click of the menu!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I also noticed the delay, and it's really annoying.

I don't like the separate menus, though, and not just because of the space they take up. I like to just have one menu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Have you tried installing readahead? I'm pretty sure it was made for stuff like this.
    I try my best.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had hoped that they (Gnome) would address this bug in some revision...I hope that these work arounds help others like me that don't care for the way the default menu is. (see my previous post for my fav)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If you make a drawer on the panel somewhere and put the regular "applications | places | system" menu in it to hide it away, just by virtue of that being cached when Gnome starts, your main menu will be cached too and open up much more snappily. Why having the bar loaded causes it all to be cached and the main menu by itself doesn't, I don't know, but this terrible hack actually does work.
    Windows has and has always had zero TCO, because Microsoft owns it and you never do. You may be charged for the joy of possibly being allowed to use Windows, if you're a good boy or girl. But it's really totally free of ownership costs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast